This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 15/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 66755 66324
  • Coordinates266755, 666324


House possible of late medieval origin, retaining a significant amount of early fabric. Pair parallel blocks linked by screen walls enclosing courtyard. Rubble-built (S block harled), ashlar dressings, slate roofs. Restoration by National Trust for Scotland throughout 1980s.

N RANGE: thought to be 15th or (perhaps more probably) 16th century. Renaissance details possible additions to a pre-existing block; crow-stepped; 2 storeys, upper windows break through eaves and have pedimented dormer heads; chamfered openings; conical-roofed drum turret st NE outer angle with shot-holes; (? reconstructed) forestair at E end of courtyard; 3 doors to court at ground; 3 coped apex stacks, that to W the most substantial.

S RANGE: mid 18th century in appearance but harl may conceal earlier work; 2 storeys with attic, symmetrical 3-bay S front, steps to central doorway, key-stoned lugged architrave with pediment; sashes with lying-panes, pair piended canted dormers with similar glazing (? circa 1840), roof perhaps contemporary, without skews and projecting over gables; pair end stacks. Handsome interior with 18th century timber stair. Small garden to front.

SCREEN WALLS: W wall looks largely rebuilt and modern, though likely to be on early footings/foundations; E wall also shaws signs of rebuilding, though less recently; wide round-arched renaissance gateway central, with renaissance moulding, perhaps dated by 1647 pediment set over bolection-moulded frame above and associated with Hamilton crest and initials "RH" (the family acquired the estate in 1593); coping slabs with moulded ends.

Statement of Special Interest

Onetime country residence of the medieval prebendary of Barlanark. Acquired by City of Glasgow 1667, and repaired 1668; estate divided 1729, Provan Hall sold 1767. Purchased by Dr John Buchanan, whose family held it until its acquisition by the National Trust for Scotland in 1938 (see reference cited).



Regality Club, Vol iii (illus and plan); Williamson, et al GLASGOW, 1990, p481.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at