Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 17/06/1992
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 57180 62131
- Coordinates257180, 662131
Watson, Salmond and Gray, 1922, as Waverley Cinema. Large block, with 3 street elevations; red ashlar, some late 17th century detailing; original glazing. Lead-domed recessed and curved SE corner bay, big entrance, painted and with pair giant Egyptianised columns; centre doored 6-bay range to Moss-Side Road, part concealed by trees; 1-3-1 front to Frankfort Street, sculptured roundels over inner windows; attic storey above main cornice. Main roof slated and tarred, big roof ventilator; plain elevation to Bertram Street.
Statement of Special Interest
Up-graded B to A 25 November, 1993.
An unusual design with a striking domed entrance corner, the former Waverley Cinema is an important part of the streetscape. It is an early purpose-built cinema, an increasingly rare building type in a city closely associated with the genre. Watson, Salmond and Gray were more associated with commercial and hospital work and this may have been their only cinema design. With a seating capacity of 1,320, the Waverley Cinema opened in December 1922. It was renamed the ABC in 1964 and closed as a cinema in 1973. After use as a bingo hall, and then a snooker club from 1982, it was empty by 2002. It was later sold and converted to a bar/restaurant/club. Information from the Cinema Theatre Association suggests that interior features remain, particularly plasterwork and ironmongery to the foyer and barrel-vaulted auditorium.
References and Notes updated as part of Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.
Further information courtesy of Cinema Theatre Association www.scottishcinemas.org.uk (accessed 12.02.08).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.