This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: B
  • Group Category Details: B - See Notes
  • Date Added: 04/11/1971


  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Balmaghie

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNX 67598 65722
  • Coordinates267598, 565722


Large rambling country house of several building periods from

17th-early 20th centuries. Asymmetrical grouping of wings,

the largest and most important to S and E in Edwardian

Renaissance style.

TO N 5-STOREY SQUARE TOWER: lower 3-storeys probably of early 17th-century origin, built up and given decorative 'baronial'

roofline in 1893 by Sydney Mitchell and Wilson, architects.

Harled walling, all openings have 19th century sandstone

margins. Sympathetic rebuilding in 1893 with polished

sandstone corbelled angle rounds with conical roofs. To SE

angle square plan ogee roofed caphouse gives access to small

wall walk with decorative balustrade; weathervane dated 1893.

String course at 4th and 5th floor cills stepped down around

some windows. Slate roofs, tall sandstone wallhead stack to W

with deep cornice.

EARLY 20TH CENTURY WINGS TO S AND E: square-plan Edwardian

Renaissance block, 2 storeys with attic. Harled walling giant

order Ionic angle pilasters, polished sandstone basecourses,

polished raised margins, continuous cill bands. Single or

tripartite windows, sash and case with 12-pane glazing


E ELEVATION: asymmetrical wide 4-bay entrance front. 2 right

bays advanced; innermost taller with semi-circular pediment

with flanking ball finials, projecting corniced porte cochere

to ground.

S ELEVATION: symmetrical 3-bay garden front with tripartites

to outer bays. Venetian window with French doors to centre, 3

single light windows at 1st. Deep timber - mutuled eaves,

steep pitch and platform slate roof, projecting dormers.

To S recessed smaller 2-storey 3-bay symmetrical block, all

single windows, details as above. To 1st panel dated 1906 and

inscribed LMH for Huchieson, owner.

To SW mid 19th-century lower single-storey and attic wing in

gothic style. Bowed bays with embattled parapet and

hood-moulded windows flank pointed arch full-height double

doors set in crowstepped gable. This gives appearance of pend

access to courtyard but later building has presumably negated

this function.

INTERIOR: some good plaster cornice and ceiling work. Mostly

panelled doors and shutters. Edwardian neo-jacobean carved

timber chimneypieces to hall.

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly Woodhall. B Group with Stables.



Sydney Mitchell and Wilson 1893 plans in NMRS.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at