Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 04/11/1971
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Balmaghie
National Grid Reference
- NGRNX 72277 66318
- Coordinates272277, 566318
Dated 1794; 1891-4 porch and vestry, internal alterations
by Peddie and Kinnear. 1893 level of tower lowered and
re-roofed, James Barbour architect. T-plan church with
octagonal tower to centre of long side (S). Painted rubble;
polished red sandstone margins to all openings - probably all
of late 19th century date; pointed arch windows, some with
Lean-to porch to SW gives access to church. S elevation 5-bay
with Y-tracery to outer bays, lancet inner bays and central
octagonal tower with pointed arch door with eliptical
datestone above inscribed MDCCXCIV, restored 1894 and 1913.
Band-course over ground stage. Pointed-arch louvred under
over door. Octagonal slate roof with tall weathervane.
INTERIOR: remodelled 20th-century, panel-fronted galleries to
E and W jambs. Central pulpit with carved reredos, 2 stained
glass lancets. Modern timber-lined coved ceiling.
CHURCHYARD: rubble walled churchyard around church. Mainly
late 18th or 19th century gravestones.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Canmore notes that the church was built in 1794 on the site of a previous place of worship and it was restored in 1894 and 1913. The earlier place of worship belonged to the Priory of Iona but by the time of the Reformation was owned by the Abbey of Holyrood. Canmore explains that a fragment of the previous church is now part of the east gate.
Listed building record updated in 2014.
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 64591.
Old Statistical Account (1791-99) Balmaghie, Country of Kirkcudbright. Vol 13. p.650
Dumfries and Galloway Standard (11 January 1893) p.7c.
Reid, H M B (1895) The kirk above Dee Water. Castle Douglas: Adam Rae. pp. 17-18.
Scott, H et al (eds.) (1917) Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation. Vol. 3 Edinburgh : Oliver and Boyd. p.391
The National Archives of Scotland. Drawings of Balmaghie Church RHP 43972, 43973 and 43974.
Dictionary of Scottish Architects, Balmaghie Parish Church at http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/building_full.php?id=214883 (accessed 19/09/2014).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.