Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 15/06/1981
- Local Authority: Highland
- Planning Authority: Highland
- Burgh: Inverness
National Grid Reference
- NGRNH 65939 45721
- Coordinates265939, 845721
Ross and Macbeth, 1903. Lady Chapel and furnishings, J N
Comper, 1910. Simple late Gothic, 3-bay aisleless nave,
narthex and chancel, vestry at north-east, Lady Chapel at
north-west, lean-to porch at west gable. Snecked rubble,
slated roof. Spired bellcote at west. Inside, collar-braced
waggon roof; tester above high altar by Comper; stone font
with spired and crocketted timber cover by Comper; stained
glass east window by Comper.
Statement of Special Interest
Category B for interior. The church, as built in 1903, was a rebuilding of the Mission Chapel of the Holy Spirit (Alexander Ross, 1886) which had stood in Factory Street. In the rebuilding the church was lengthened. The adjoining Rectory in Abban Street was built to designs by Alexander Ross and Son in 1911 (INVERNESS COURIER, April 25, 1911). Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
YEAR BOOK FOR EPISCOPAL CHURCH IN SCOTLAND (1918), 233-4;
INVERNESS COURIER Aug. 25, 1903 (advertisement for tenders);
INVERNESS COURIER, Sept. 15, 1903.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.