Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

ACADEMY STREET, UNION STREET, CHURCH STREET AND QUEENSGATE, MARKET ARCADE AND NEW MARKETReference: LB35118

Status: Designated

Documents

Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 22/12/1976

Location

  • Local Authority: Highland
  • Planning Authority: Highland
  • Burgh: Inverness

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNH 66709 45407
  • Coordinates266709, 845407

Description

Public Markets and arcade to Academy Street, Matthews and

Lawrie, 1869-70. Italianate, ashlar. Front to Academy

Street, single storey 3-bay front, tripartite round-headed

arched Corinthian columned entrance with carved animal head

keystones, channelled angle piers, bracketted cornice and

balustrade surmounted by urns; outer bays, lower, each with

one round-headed window, cornice and balustrade surmounted

by urn. Arcade, brick, arcaded shopfronts, clerestory

windows, timber roof with cast-iron principals. Front to

close off Church Street: tower, snecked rubble, round-arched

entrance with oculus above and pediment. Markets altered

and extended, Burgh Surveyor, 1890 south-west market hall

timber and glass double-pitched roof supported on cast-iron

columns; central hall, square plan, timber and glass roof with

cast-iron principals. Arcade to Union Street, Ross and Macbeth,

1890. Arcade to Queensgate, Duncan Cameron, 1897, segmental

headed arch at each end, north part of arcade, shopfronts with

polished granite pilastrade, elaborate frieze and egg-and

dart cornice, cast-iron and fully glazed roof, south part

of arcade pilastered shopfronts, each originally of 3

round-headed arches; timber and glass roof.

Statement of Special Interest

References

Bibliography

INVERNESS ADVERTISER March 23, 1869, May 28, 1870;

INVERNESS COURIER; March 21, 1890; Sept 5, 1890; March 26,

1897.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Printed: 29/04/2016 16:55