Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 15/06/1981
- Local Authority: Highland
- Planning Authority: Highland
- Burgh: Inverness
National Grid Reference
- NGRNH 66642 45512
- Coordinates266642, 845512
1798; almost entirely rebuilt, 1853 large additions, Ross
& Macbeth, 1897-8. Behind the front of 1897-8 is the earlier
building, a plain rubble-built galleried rectangle. Front of
1897-8. Lombardic Gothic, snecked, squared and stugged rubble
with polished ashlar dressings. In centre broad gable containing gableted pointed-arched entrance under broad traceried
windows; gable flanked at left by plain 2-storey stair tower
containing door under pointed window with gableted
dormerhead; at right of gable similar stair tower but
surmounted by squat octagonal tower with cusped belfry openings
and crenellated parapet with pinnacled angle bartizans and
topped by short slated octagonal spire; at angles of main
gable and towers pinnacled clasping buttresses.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Originally built as
Established chapel-of-ease, The Minister and congregation
came out at the Disruption and retained use of the church.
FASTI ECCLESIAE SCOTICANAE, vi, 468; ix, 653; William Ewing
ANNALS OF THE FREE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND, ii, 208, NEW
STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xiv, 29; INVERNESS COURIER, Aug 11,
1853; July 7, 1901; Jan 8, 1897; and information courtesy of
the Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.