This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 21/05/1971


  • Local Authority: Highland
  • Planning Authority: Highland
  • Burgh: Inverness

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNH 66647 45218
  • Coordinates266647, 845218


Alexander Laing following design by William Sibbald, 1791.

Classic square-plan, ashlar. 3-storey tower,

round-arched openings to Bridge Street ground floor,

Venetian windows with blind centre light and apron in Bridge

Street and Church Street fronts at 1st floor, round-arched

window rising into open pediment on each front, at 2nd

floor, 1st floor band course. Lower belfry stage, Doric

pilasters at angles and framing round-headed keyblocked

louvred openings, with subsidiary anta pilastrade threaded

through entablature. Clock stage, at each front clock face

beneath swag and broken pediment advances from panelled

angle piers surmounted by swagged urns. Upper belfry stage

octagonal with Ionic angle pilasters N, S, W, and E

fronts having single round-headed openings, NE, NW, SE and SW

fronts containing 2-storey blind openings, corniced at lower

storey. Octagonal base to spire with blind vents. Octagonal

spire surmounted by ball and weathercock.

Statement of Special Interest

A group with 4-14 Bridge Street. The design was furnished by

Alexander Laing who supervised the building but the authorship

of the design is credited in THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1793)

to Sibbald.



STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, ix 623; Alexander Mackenzie,

GUIDE to Inverness (1903), 32; Eveline Barron, OLD INVERNESS


About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at