Alexander Miller, carpenter, and Hugh Suter, mason, 1800-01.
Originally 2-storey and basement 3-bay centre block linked
by single-storey and basement quadrants surmounted by low
1st floor screen wall with blind windows to slightly advanced single-storey and basement one-bay pedimented wings with
thermal windows at basement and Venetian windows in arched
recesses at ground floor; band course at ground floor, 1st
floor string course, cornice and parapet at centre and
quadrants. Rear wing added Alexander Miller, carpenter,
Inverness, Lewis Yule, John Yule, John McWatt and Colin
Nicolson, masons, Nairn, 1804-05. Centre bay at front
surmounted by attic screen wall with carved pediment
(pediment supplied by Robert Burn, Edinburgh), 1805. Square
plan tower with angle bartizans, Lewis Yule, John Yule and
Colin Nicolson, masons, 1806, at centre of rear.
Idiosyncratic fluted Greek Doric portico at centre bay of
front, Hugh Suter, mason, 1811. East wing, William Symon,
master mason, and Lachlan Mackintosh, carpenter, 1822,
single-storey and basement. East wing gothicised, 1827,
William Symon, master mason, and Alexander Fraser, carpenter
with insertion of hoodmould 3-light cusped and traceried
window and heightening of square-plan castellated bartizans
flanking gable. West wing added, 1827, William Symon, master
mason, and Alexander Fraser, carpenter, single storey and
basement, castellated style with 3-light ground floor window
under Tudor hoodmould to front. Alterations, Alexander
Fraser, master mason, 1830-31, spired belfry added at centre
of west wing (only clock-stage now survives), cast-iron lion
(sculpted by Anderson, Edinburgh, cast by John Wells,
Inverness) erected at apex of east wing (now removed),
interior of house remodelled with new staircase and Gothic
1st floor added to portico (pinnacles at parapet now
removed). Front rendered, 1834. Further alterations and
additions, James Ross 1851.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.