Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 21/05/1971
- Local Authority: Highland
- Planning Authority: Highland
- Burgh: Inverness
National Grid Reference
- NGRNH 66463 45514
- Coordinates266463, 845514
Late 16th century tower; church 1769-72; internal
alterations, A & W Reid, 1877; additions and internal
alterations, W L Carruthers, 1899. Rubble. Tower, square-plan,
unbuttressed with small openings, projection for stair at
SE, stone-vaulted interior; top of tower probably
late 17th century with corbelled balustraded parapet, small
octagonal spire, apsidal-ended vestry added at SE
of tower, 1899. Church of 7 bays; SE flank has late
19th century porches at end bays and semi-octagonal apse of
1891 at centre bay; tall round-arched windows; at
north-west flank square-headed windows; small dormers added,
INTERIOR: extensively remodelled 1877 and 1899;
demi-octagonal gallery, pews of modified box type introduced,
1877; open timber roof, its principals springing from stone
corbels, 1899. Stained glass of various dates, by Ballantine
& Gardiner, Douglas Strachan and Gordon Webster.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The steeple was
repaired in 1649 (RECORDS OF INVERNESS, ed. William Mackay
and Herbert Cameron Bond, ii (1894) 201). The church was
rebuilt in 1769 to a plan procured from George Fraser,
Depute-Auditor of the Excise at Edinburgh. The plan was an
enlarged version of that of the Buccleuch Church, Edinburgh,
built in 1755-6 (Charles Fraser Mackintosh, ANTIQUARIAN NOTES
George Hay, ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION
CHURCHES 25; NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xiv, 28; Alexander
Mackenzie, GUIDE TO INVERNESS (1903), 45; INVERNESS COURIER,
May 24, 1877, March 27, 1891 and Sept 29, 1899; and
information courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.