Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 15/06/1981
- Local Authority: Highland
- Planning Authority: Highland
- Burgh: Inverness
National Grid Reference
- NGRNH 65279 45954
- Coordinates265279, 845954
Circa 1800-1820. 2-storey with upper breaking eaves, 3-bay, symmetrical Gothic house with later central, multi-gabled timber porch. Tooled, squared and coursed red sandstone with ashlar margins. Harl pointing to rear elevation. Base course. Pointed arched windows. Hoodmoulds at ground floor. Gablet dormers. Centre 1st floor window blind. Replacement dormers and single storey addition to rear elevation. The building is set on ground lower than street level.
Multi-pane glazing with simple Y tracery, in timber frames. Piended, slated roof. Central, coped stack and octagonal cans.
Statement of Special Interest
Muirtown Cottage was built between 1800-1820 and is one of the oldest surviving houses in the Muirtown area of Inverness, which developed in the twentieth century. The house is a unusual example of a small-scale domestic property in the Gothic revival style.
Muirtown was owned by the Duff family and dominated by Muirtown House (see separate listing), construction of which started in 1800 for Major Hugh Robert Duff, the editor of the Culloden Papers. G Taylor and A Skinner's Survey and Maps of the Roads of North Britain or Scotland Plate 60 of 1776 depicts an earlier house with a road, marked Beauly Rd, to the north of this property and it is on this road that Muirtown cottage was located. Muirtown Cottage is first evident on the Great Reform Act Plan (1832) but it is likely that the cottage was built around the beginning of the 19th century. The cottage was originally at street level, as indicated in a photo dated 1957 (Canmore), but the road was raised in the late 20th century. This photo also indicates that the porch has been changed from a single gabled porch to a porch with gables to each side. The Muirtown area was changed significantly by the construction of the Caledonian Canal and Muirtown basin and locks.
Muirtown Cottage is in front of Muirtown basin, which was constructed as a port for Inverness and part of the Caledonian Canal. Boats would wait in the basin before leaving the canal by Clachnaharry Sea lock to the northwest or ascending Muirtown flight of locks and onwards to Loch Ness to the southwest. The Caledonian Canal is one of five canals surviving in Scotland and connects Inverness in the north to Corpach, near Fort William in the west. Construction work started in 1804 and the first complete journey was made on 23-24 October 1822
Category changed from B to C and listed building record updated as part of the Scottish Canals estate review (2013-14).
Great Reform Act Plans and Reports (1832) Inverness. London: House of Commons.
Ordnance Survey. (1874) Inverness Mainland Sheet IV.13. London: Ordnance Survey.
Gifford, J. (1992) The Buildings of Scotland: Highland & Islands. London: Penguin Books. p204.
Royal Commission on the Ancient & Historical Monuments of Scotland, CANMORE, Muirtown Cottage. http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/98325/details/ [accessed 11/12/2013].
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.