Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

5 CULDUTHEL ROAD ARDKEEN TOWERReference: LB35196

Status: Designated

Documents

Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 21/05/1971

Location

  • Local Authority: Highland
  • Planning Authority: Highland
  • Burgh: Inverness

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNH 66707 44830
  • Coordinates266707, 844830

Description

1834-36, classical; additions and alterations, Alexander F

Mackenzie, 1902 and 1906. Originally L-plan with

single-storey 3 bay arms linked by recessed one-bay quadrants

to oval block at heel of the L. Oval block at heel fronted

with pedimented tetrastyle Roman Doric portico (now glazed)

and surmounted by octagonal base on which stands pilastered

and domed circular observatory tower with segmental-arched

windows. In 1902-6, a canted bay window added at the front of

each arm; east wing raised to 2 storeys: at rear, open

angle of the L-plan filled with a 2-storey block, harled with

ashlar dressings, with a slightly raised tower feature at

main entrance. Internally, oval room (now open into portico)

with original chimney piece of 1834-6.

Statement of Special Interest

Built as the Inverness United Charities Institution to house

the Inverness Juvenile Female School, the Ladies' Female

Work Society and the Inverness Infant School. Converted

into a private house at end of 19th century.

References

Bibliography

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xiv, 16; (George Cameron) A HISTORY

AND DESCRIPTION OF THE TOWN OF INVERNESS (1847), 70;

INVERNESS COURIER May 13, 1902; INVERNESS COURIER May 11,

1906.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Printed: 06/05/2016 04:42