Circa 1810-20, later 19th century alterations, and modern
internal subdivision into 4 flatted apartments. Single storey
and attic house over raised basement, on site sloping
steeply to west. Rectangular plan, longer elevations east and
west, each elevation originally of symmetrical 3 bays. All
pinned red rubble, with contrasting tooled sandstone
dressings and margins. Splayed recessed centre entrance
flanked by decorative cast-iron balustrade in north elevation
with flanking hoodmoulded windows, to right now as door
masked by modern later glazed porch. Symmetrical 2-storey
west elevation with centre bowed bay rising full-height,
set back in splayed recess; centre raised basement and raised
ground floor windows. Wide chamfered angles at NW and SW
corners (corresponding with octagonal rooms within).
East elevation (to street); 3-bay fenestration with wider
centre window, and window at left now converted to door.
South return elevation; blind window and modern porch and
additions masking original fenestration.
Varied glazing; some original 12-pane survives; 2 later
canted dormers at east and west; paired centre stacks;
shallow peinded platform roof with centre conical glazed
light and exaggerated deep eaves.
Interior; Original plan consisted of entrance lobby
opening into centre octagonal hall rising to roof and
top-lit; 2 octagonal rooms SW and NW; demi-octagonal at NE
and SE, now all subdivided. Rooms in SW and NW with original
fielded panelled dados, doors and moulded doorpieces;
decorative cornices to ceilings, and central roundel in NW
Attic floor sub-divided as series of rooms and central hall
ceiled to form octagonal room in later 19th century and
reached by small staircase of same date with barley-sugar
twist cast-iron balusters. Centre hall lit by conical top
light with guilloche moulding around base. Later 19th
century simple panelled doors.
Coped rubble wall divides property from street to east;
pedestrian entrance flanked by painted square cast-iron gate
piers (later 19th century) set in small curved quadrants.
Steps flanked by early 19th century decorative cast-iron