Matthews & Lawrie, 1878-82. Flemish-Baronial, Overwood
sandstone ashlar. 2 tall storeys and attic. 7-bay front.
Centre advanced, at ground floor arched entrance in gableted
porch, at 1st floor bipartite mullioned and transomed
window with trefoil heads to lights set in squareheaded
recess and surmounted by carved arms of Burgh of Inverness,
at attic, gablet containing bipartite window with arched
lights, set between angle finials surmounted by heraldic
beasts and flanked by circular angle turrets with tall
conical fishscale slated roofs. Outer windows, bipartite
mullioned and transomed with trefoil-headed lights at ground
floor, bipartite mullioned and transomed with arched lights
set in continuous arched hoodmoulds at 1st floor. Circular angle bartizans with octagonal caphouses with tall octagonal fishscale
slated roofs. Pierced parapet. Spirelet in centre, now truncated.
In W gable, panel containing burgh arms of 1686, in E
gable, panel containing arms of Charles II, both removed
from Old Bridge of Inverness Notable interior;
groin-vaulted vestibule leading to staircase lit by stained
glass windows (by Adam & Small, Glasgow); public hall with
panelled and painted ceiling and stained glass windows;
Council Chamber enlarged, John Hinton Gall, 1894, with
panelled ceiling; stained glass commemorative of Diamond
Jubilee, designed by J H Stewart, executed by William Meikle
& Son, Glasgow; 1898. Extension to south, James R Rhind,
1904, following style of original. Front to Castle Street,
3 storeys, 7 bays with shops at ground floor; change of
building line at join of extension to old work masked by
turret corbelled out from wall. Slated roofs. Ornate
cast-iron lamp standards flanking entrance.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.