Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 21/05/1971
- Local Authority: Highland
- Planning Authority: Highland
- Burgh: Inverness
National Grid Reference
- NGRNH 66378 45266
- Coordinates266378, 845266
William Robertson, 1836-37. Perpendicular with exaggerated
detail, ashlar. Gable front containing arched door with
rectangular hoodmould, surmounted by large traceried window
with ogee hoodmould. Gable flanked by octagonal angle
buttresses with crocketted finials linked by diagonally-set
screenwalls to lower octagonal pinnacled buttresses.
Interior, nave lengthened and chancel built, W L Carruthers,
1893-4, now 8-bay aisleless nave and chancel, Westminster
Palace Gothic roof. Reredos and altar, W L Carruthers after
suggestions by Peter Paul Pugin, 1893-4, of Caen stone,
Gothic. Some recent alterations to interior.
Statement of Special Interest
The former RC Chapel was behind the last Church.
Ecclesiastical Building in use as such.
ST MARY'S CATHOLIC CHURCH, INVERNESS. CENTENARY 1837-1937;
National Monuments Record of Scotland; William Lewis, A
TOPOGRAPHICAL GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND (1846); HISTORY OF
INVERNESS p 79; Francis H Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF
SCOTLAND (1901); INVERNESS COURIER, March 28, 1893; and
information courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.