This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 15/06/1981


  • Local Authority: Highland
  • Planning Authority: Highland
  • Burgh: Inverness

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNH 66312 44467
  • Coordinates266312, 844467


John Smith, Banff, 1799-1804. Originally, centre block

of 2 storeys and 5 bays with centre 3 bays slightly

advanced and pedimented with giant Corinthian pilasters at

1st and 2nd floors; ashlar, channelled ground floor;

slated piended and bellcast roof. Centre block originally

linked by single-storey, 3-bay quadrants to 2-storey, 3-bay pyramidal-roofed pavilions. Alterations, Matthews & Lawrie,

1864-6. Quadrants raised to 3 storeys. Pavilions

reconstructed and deepened with piended roofs. Addition,

Ross & Macbeth, 1896-8. 2-storey porte-cochere and operating

theatre block extending from centre bay of front; ashlar,

rusticated ground floor; coupled Corinthian angle pilasters

supporting open pediment of gable at first floor; all windows

tripartite except first floor window at gable which is

round-arched and keyblocked bipartite with panelled

aprons. At original main block, first and second floor

windows of outer bays have been altered to bipartite

ground floor of south pavilion altered with modern canopy.

Tweedmouth Memorial Chapel: Ross & Macbeth, 1896-8.

Cruciform, lancet style, snecked rubble; linked to south gable

of main Infirmary building by corridor with transverse

porch. 3-bay flanks with transepts projecting from centre

bays; outer windows paired lancets; triple stepped lancets

at gables of transepts; triple stepped traceried lancets at

south gable; rose window at north gable; angle buttresses.

Internally, transepts designed for use as RC and Episcopal

chapels; roof of panelled oak; furnishings of oak.

Statement of Special Interest

Erected by subscription. Subscription List opened

1797. An alternative design obtained in London in 1799

from (?Colin) Farquhar was rejected as being too ornate for a

building which was to be occupied by the poor. The Tweedmouth

Memorial Chapel was built in memory of Sir Dudley

Marjoribanks, 1st Baron Tweedmouth by his widow. Front block

of Infirmary only included in the listing.




(1946); NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xiv, 16; Alexander


30, 1865 (advert. for tenders); INVERNESS COURIER July 7,

1896 (advertisement for tenders); INVERNESS COURIER Sept.

1, 1896; and information courtesy of the Buildings of

Scotland Research Unit.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at