Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 15/06/1981
- Local Authority: Highland
- Planning Authority: Highland
- Burgh: Inverness
National Grid Reference
- NGRNH 66145 43171
- Coordinates266145, 843171
Circa 1890. Large 2-storey 5-bay symmetrical Italianate villa, now in commercial use, with piended roof, prominent doorpiece and ballustered aprons. Pink sandstone with cream ashlar dressings. Band and string course to 1st floor. Bracketed eaves course.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: principal (S) elevation with central single-leaf panelled door with fanlight set in round-headed and keystoned arch in advanced pilastered doorpiece with ballustered apron and bi-partite window above. Outer bays slightly advanced with pilastered tripartite windows with carved friezes. Regular fenestration to 1st floor. Slightly advanced outer bays to N elevation with central projecting bay window to centre at ground, ballustered balcony above. Single-storey service wing to E.
Plate glass set in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate with lead flashings. Series of coped wall-head, gable and ridge stacks.
INTERIOR: modernised but retaining many original features including arcaded entrance hall, ornate fireplaces and vestibule mosaic.
Statement of Special Interest
A large and imposing villa which makes confident use of the Italianate style and a range of classical detailing. The building is notable for its doorpiece and the ballustered aprons, as well as the contrasting pink and cream masonry. It is unusual in that it has an institutional as opposed to residential presence.
Drummondhill was built by William Burns and his wife Jane Fraser. Burns was a leading Inverness solicitor and he acquired the land in 1886-7. The house was constructed shortly after and their initials are carved above the entrance. It was the last of several large villas to be built in this part of Inverness in the second half of the 19th century. During this period many of the villas were owned and lived in by lawyers.
Although the architect of the house is not known it is possibly by Alexander Ross who was a prolific architect in Inverness during this period, and is credited with designing the associated lodge.
2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1902). J Wordsworth, 'Drummondhill, Stratherrick Road, Inverness'. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.codexgeo.co.uk.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.