Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 22/02/1972
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Burgh: Keith
National Grid Reference
- NGRNJ 42981 50237
- Coordinates342981, 850237
1831, Father Walter Lovi; dome, enlarged sanctuary and
internal decoration by C J Menart, Glasgow, 1916. Prominently
sited, neo-classical/Baroque cruciform church incorporating
2-storey presbytery at rear (W). Polished ashlar E front,
tooled rubble flanks with ashlar margins and dressings.
3-bay pilastered entrance front, centre bay slightly advanced
with 2-stages, each delineated by paired pilasters, upper
stage pedimented and flanked each side by bold decorative
scrolled consoles; centre entrance with pedimented doorpiece
flanked by corniced panels with inset round-headed niches
each housing statue. Substantial octagonal facetted copper
covered concrete some spans crossing with shaped lunette in
each face and apex cross finial. 2 round-headed windows in N
and S transepts. Rear 2 bays incorporate presbytery with 2
windows each floor including dormerless attic in W gable.
Projecting 2-storey canted window at SW; 2-pane glazing.
Ridge stack; slate roofs.
INTERIOR OF CHURCH: 1916 Corinthian pilastered interior;
pilastered and pedimented panel incorporates Francois Dubois'
painting, 'The Incredulity of St Thomas' as altarpiece; deep
main cornice; simple plaster details to dome interior.
Gallery at E end with plain front; pine pews.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Opened for worship 1 August 1831. Date of church also said to
be 1828 (NSA). Inscrption on frontage reads 'Columna et
Firmametum Veritatis'. Father Walter Lovi was priest at Keith
between 1835-1837 and is reputed to have designed RC churches
at Wick (1837), Braemar (1839) and Chapelton, Glenlivet
(1840, dem. 1897).
Dubois' painting gifted to Father Lovi for church by Charles
X of France.
Upgraded: B to A, 24.3.88
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1842), p. 391. George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES 1560-1843
(1957), pp. 157, 251. Howard Colvin, A BIOGRAPHICAL
DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS (1978), p. 526. Angus J
Howat and Mike Seton, CHURCHES OF MORAY (1981), p. 32.
BANFFSHIRE HERALD, 10 October 1981.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.