This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 22/02/1972


  • Local Authority: Moray
  • Planning Authority: Moray
  • Burgh: Keith

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNJ 42987 50802
  • Coordinates342987, 850802


James Gillespie Graham, dated 1816. Alterations James

Matthews, Aberdeen 1875. Large perpendicular Gothic church;

5-bay buttressed long elevations at N and S; 4-stage tower at

W. Mixed rubble, tooled and polished sandstone ashlar


Wide E gable, central shallow entrance porch with angle

buttresses and crenellated wallhead. Tall hoodmoulded blind

flanking windows; squat traceried window above to light

gallery. Set-off buttresses to long elevations with

hoodmoulded perpendicular traceried windows; crenellated

wallhead; crowstepped gables; cross finial at E; slate roof.

4-stage tower in centre W gable; N and S entrances in base

(blind at N, dated at S). Angle buttresses; diminishing

stages; crenellated wallhead with crocketted angle pinnacles.

Clock faces at N, S and W set in Gothic Perpendicular

detailed frames.

INTERIOR: entrance lobby at E with mirrored stairs to

gallery; horse-shoe gallery supported by cast-iron cluster

columns with cusped panelled front with centre gilded

Seafield coat-of-arms.

Organ in carved case at W fronted by carved and panelled

rectangular pulpit reached by short flight steps with brass


Mural aumbry of circa 1500, said to be Sacrament House, from

old Keith church (formerly sited in present burial ground)

re-set in W wall to left of pulpit. Aumbry initialled I O

with worn inscription, infilled with carved monogram possibly

former finial.

ENCLOSING WALLS AND GATEPIERS: church surrounded by coped

rubble walls; entrance flanked with square ashlar gatepiers

with pyramidal caps; pair cast-iron carriage gates.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Sacrament House from pre-Reformation church which formerly

stood in ld burial ground (and replaced by present St Rufus

church) re-set as memorial to James Duncan of Keith, died

1970. Initialled IO for (?) James Ogilvie (Ogilvie family

occupied Milton Tower).

Bellcote from old church re-used on Botriphnie Parish Church.

Upgraded: B to A, 24.3.88



Scottish Record Office CH2/342/9/221. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT

XIII (1842), P. 391. ABERDEEN JOURNAL, April 28, 1875.

Advertisement for tenders. George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF


251. Angus J Howat and Mike Seton, CHURCHES IN MORAY (1981),

p. 31.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at