Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 24/03/1988


  • Local Authority: Moray
  • Planning Authority: Moray
  • Burgh: Keith

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNJ 42942 51129
  • Coordinates342942, 851129


Founded 1786, buildings mid 19th century and later. Irregular and varied range of associated distillery buildings; mainly grey rubble with tooled ashlar dressings. Slate roofs.

OFFICE BLOCK: single storey U-plan range converted from other uses, probably in the 1950s, when window openings enlarged and new doors slapped through with regular fenestration to court and pair entrances with modern timber canopies. Further rear entrance with shallow portico supported by pair slender cast-iron columns. Court closed at E by short length of coped rubble wall with pair cast-iron carriage gates and similar single pedestrian gate flanked by plain square rubble gate piers with stepped pyramidal caps installed c1980. Re-set armorials in E gable and projecting canted window.

KILNS: paired kilns with twin slated shaped roofs terminating in louvred pagoda apex vents with cast-iron weathervane to one and decorative finial to the other. Kiln E gable fronted by re-used waterwheel adjoining 4 storey building constructed as malt bans, converted in 1950s for other uses. Rubble stillhouse on S with double finialled gable, twin dormers and louvred ventilator. Roof alternate slated.

Rear elevations harled. Painted circular-section brick chimney to rear. NO 12 DUTY WAREHOUSE: probably c1890, 2-storey rubble warehouse with

5 gabled bays to Seafield Avenue and 4-bay return S elevation. Slate roofs; tiled ridge.

Statement of Special Interest

Distillery established in 1786 by George Taylor as Milltown Distillery. Much rebuilt probably c1880, c1890 and in 1950s. Re-used armorial datestone dated 1695 and other carved fragments set in E gables of office block taken from Milton Tower. Also late 19th century cast-iron drinking fountain with cup attached by length of chain, inscribed 'T Kennedy, Patentee, Kilmarnock'. Undershot waterwheel by James Abernethy, Aberdeen, dated 1881 re-used for decorative effect. Stillhouse one of oldest in industry.



John Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND ii (1977), p.180. THE NORTHERN SCOT, 12 September 1986, pp. 8-10 bi-centenary anniversary report). Moss & Hume, THE MAKING OF SCOTCH WHISKY, p.271.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at


Sorry, there are no images available for this record.


Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 30/05/2016 09:42