Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 08/11/1974
- Local Authority: Shetland Islands
- Planning Authority: Shetland Islands
- Burgh: Lerwick
National Grid Reference
- NGRHU 47983 41214
- Coordinates447983, 1141214
Circa 1730. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay house of rectangular plan. Harled walls with chamfered sandstone margins to openings, sandstone drips at window lintels. Widely and irregularly spaced bays, blank at ground floor in bay to left, 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber entrance door in centre bay, chamfered corner to ground floor at right. 4-bay rear elevation. E gable; blank bay at right, windows at all floors in bay to left.
12-pane timber sash and case windows, modern glazing at ground floor of rear elevation. Purple-grey slate roof, harled and coped apex stacks with moulded circular red cans. Harled and coped crowsteps.
BOUNDARY WALL: random rubble wall to E and N of garden to rear, coursed rubble sea wall with random rubble parapet with timber-infilled opening at centre.
Statement of Special Interest
This house was built for Patrick Scollay around 1730. It was later occupied by Patrick Torray who had the distinction of being the first man to build a lodberry beside his house. At that time it was the only house S of the tolbooth on the seaward side of Commercial Street.
James W Irvine LERWICK (1985) p36 and 38. Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p15. NMRS Ref: SH/606/605/604. John Gifford HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (1992) p493.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.