This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 18/10/1977


  • Local Authority: Shetland Islands
  • Planning Authority: Shetland Islands
  • Burgh: Lerwick

National Grid Reference

  • NGRHU 47292 41837
  • Coordinates447292, 1141837


HAY'S DOCK: circa 1825. Irregularly shaped dock enclosed by piers to N (with curved E end and storehouse) and E flanking entrance to E. Large stugged sandstone blocks to quay walls and some surfaces with stone and cast-iron bollards and mooring rings, iron cramps between copestones. Slip to S with stepped sides and concrete covered ramp.

STOREHOUSE: early 19th century. Gabled former storehouse of rectangular plan. Stugged sandstone rubble walls, cherry-caulked with stugged sandstone dressings. Chamfered corners corbelled out to square at 1st floor. Currently (1995) roofless.

S ELEVATION: asymmetrical; small rectangular window with iron bars centring elevation; slit window to right, recess with stone mooring bollard at ground to left with small square opening above; rubble infilled door to outer left.

W ELEVATION: gable end; wide door centred at ground with loading door at 1st floor rising into gablehead.


E ELEVATION: mirrored image of W elevation, but with narrower door at ground.

Statement of Special Interest

The firm of Hay and Ogilvy collapsed in 1842 due to decline in the herring boom and damage to their fishing fleet in a gale. The collapse resulted in the establishment of Hay & Co in 1844 when William Hay joined forces with his sons, William and Charles. They originally worked from premises in Commercial Street, but William applied for new premises at Freefield, and by 1845 it was one of the busiest spots in Lerwick. The company caught, cured, bought, and exported fish on a very large scale, and was actively involved in the whaling industry. It also built and repaired ships and sold goods wholesale and retail including the Welsh roofing slate that can now be seen throughout Shetland. A photograph of 1930 shows the dock with the storehouse roofed.



Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p22. James W Irvine LERWICK (1985) plate 56. James R Nicolson LERWICK HARBOUR (1966) p11. James R Nicolson HAY & COMPANY (1982) p5. John Gifford HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (1992) p492. Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) p112.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at