Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 18/10/1977
- Local Authority: Shetland Islands
- Planning Authority: Shetland Islands
- Burgh: Lerwick
National Grid Reference
- NGRHU 47673 41375
- Coordinates447673, 1141375
Circa 1735. Long single storey and attic, 7-bay former store-house (now shop) of rectangular plan with flanking closes and gable to street. Random rubble walls with stugged and droved sandstone dressings.
E (ESPLANADE) ELEVATION: wide opening with modern 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber door centring gable at ground, integral rubble buttress advanced at left with Grieg?s Pier inscribed in stonework above, door with plate glass fixed-light centred in gablehead, flat stone at apex.
S (GRIEG?S CLOSS) ELEVATION: 7-bay elevation, corbelled out at mid-height between 2 bays to outer right. Boarded window in bay to outer left; rubble-infilled door in bay to right; 12-pane timber sash and case window in bay to right; bay to right blank at ground, rubble catslide dormer with boarded opening, breaking eaves above, accessed by rubble stair and stone slab bridge over close; modern glazing in bay to right, brick and glazed infill in penultimate bay to right, paired doors in bay to outer right.
N (CAMPBELL?S CLOSS) ELEVATION: 4 bays, grouped at right, vertically-boarded timber doors in each bay, 2-leaf in 2 bays to outer right, infilled opening over lintel in bay to left.
Grey-purple slate roof with ashlar skew copes to E gable.
Statement of Special Interest
The Peerie Shop was built as a storehouse on Grieg?s Pier, or lodberry, which was originally on the waterfront until the esplanade was built in 1836. It was the lodberry of James Greig, merchant, and was also where Thomas Stove had his block making establishment. It is a rare survivor amongst the dense development built following construction of the Esplanade in 1886.
E S Reid Tait A LERWICK MISCELLANY (1955), p44. Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990), p21. NMRS Ref: SH/2128.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.