Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 16/05/1986
- Local Authority: Shetland Islands
- Planning Authority: Shetland Islands
- Burgh: Lerwick
National Grid Reference
- NGRHU 47668 41523
- Coordinates447668, 1141523
Circa 1900. 2-storey 13 x 3-bay shed of rectangular plan. Corrugated sheet metal cladding to walls and roof, timber surrounds to doors and windows with projecting timber cills and metal hoods over. Modern timber balcony projecting at 1st floor to N and W elevations, timber eaves course.
S ELEVATION: symmetrical, regularly fenestrated.
E (SEAFRONT) ELEVATION: irregularly spaced bays, vertically-boarded timber doors with plate glass fanlights in 3rd bay and penultimate bay to right, blank at ground in bays 4 and 5.
N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; blank bay to right; vertically-boarded timber doors at ground and 1st floors to right of centre; matching door at ground in bay to left with window above. Flagpole mounted in gablehead.
W ELEVATION: irregularly spaced bays with irregular fenestration.
4-pane timber sash and case windows at ground, 4-pane timber windows with hoppers at 1st floor. Corrugated sheet metal cladding to roof, timber barge boards with finials at gables.
Statement of Special Interest
A photograph of circa 1925 show the former arrangement of chimney stacks piercing the roof pitches. Old photographs confirm how the gable end dominated the harbour scene when looking N. Nicolson?s book records that "the Harbour Trust had a new store built in 1906 at the S end of Alexandra Wharf for the exclusive use of the Shetland Islands Steam Trading Company, and was nicknamed the Norseman?s Store after their ship the S S Norseman". The walkways at 1st floor on the N and W elevations were removed in 1986. Restored by Richard Gibson in 1990, it is now one of the harbour?s most prominent features.
Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p21. Norman Hudson SOUVENIR POSTCARDS FROM SHETLAND (1992) p15. James R Nicolson LERWICK HARBOUR (1966) p66 plate 16. John Gifford HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (1992) p492.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.