Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 25/11/1989
- Local Authority: Shetland Islands
- Planning Authority: Shetland Islands
- Burgh: Lerwick
National Grid Reference
- NGRHU 48721 69438
- Coordinates448721, 1169438
Late 18th century/early 19th century, extended to E in earlier 19th century. 2-storey and loft, 5 x 1-bay storehouse. Random rubble walls with droved ashlar dressings.
N ELEVATION: 5 bays (grouped 2-3) regularly fenestrated, windows infilled except vertically-boarded timber shutter with iron hinges to window at ground in bay to outer right;
W ELEVATION: openings centring gable; wide door at ground, loading doors at upper floors, segmental arched with 2-leaf timber doors at 1st floor, infilled at loft.
S ELEVATION: 5 bays, grouped 3-2. Left group; door at ground to left of bay to left and in centre bay, both with boarded timber infill. Right group; 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber door at ground in bay to right, timber sash and case windows at 1st floor; 12-pane to left, 4-pane to right. Boarded timber infill to other windows.
E ELEVATION: corner to right chamfered at ground; openings roughly centring gable; 6-panel domestic timber door with 5-pane fanlight above at ground; openings at upper floors infilled; additional small square window in gablehead.
Modern corrugated sheet cladding to roof.
Statement of Special Interest
The firm of Hay and Ogilvy collapsed in 1842 due to decline in the herring boom and damage to their fishing fleet in a gale. The collapse resulted in the establishment of Hay & Co in 1844 when William Hay joined forces with his sons, William and Charles. They originally worked from premises in Commercial Street, but William applied for new premises at Freefield, and by 1845 it was one of the busiest spots in Lerwick. The company caught, cured, bought, and exported fish on a very large scale, and was actively involved in the whaling industry. It also built and repaired ships and sold goods wholesale and retail including the Welsh roofing slate that can now be seen throughout Shetland. A photograph of circa 1890 shows a substantial ridge stack marking the former gable end.
James W Irvine LERWICK (1985) p141. James R Nicolson LERWICK HARBOUR (1966) p11. James R Nicolson HAY & COMPANY (1982) p5 plates 16 and 30. NMRS Ref: A 80688. Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) p112 plate 21.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.