Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: C
  • Date Added: 20/06/1994


  • Local Authority: Shetland Islands
  • Planning Authority: Shetland Islands
  • Burgh: Lerwick

National Grid Reference

  • NGRHU 48105 41116
  • Coordinates448105, 1141116


1865. Symmetrical near-rectangular plan former widow?s asylum; central 2-storey and attic block with single storey and attic wings flanking; gabled pavilions to outer left and right. Harl-pointed tooled cream sandstone with later cement patching. Advanced crenellated paired porches to E; boarded doors; attic windows breaking eaves in pedimented dormerheads.

E (SEAWARD ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central 2-storey and attic piend-roofed block; porch at centre; large plaque with inscription, monogram, recessed columns and trefoil details; additional blank panel below

2 attic windows; single hoodmoulded windows at ground and 1st floor in bays to left and right of porch. Single storey and attic wings;

2 porches with single windows flanking with attic windows with gabled stone dormerheads above. Gabled pavilions to outer left and right: single hoodmoulded windows at ground and in gablehead; stone finials.

W (TWAGEOS ROAD) ELEVATION: central block: 2 doorways to centre; marble commemorative plaque to Arthur Anderson above; 2 attic windows with stone dormerheads; single windows at ground and 1st floors in bays flanking doorways. Later flat-roofed single storey extensions obscuring single-storey and attic wings. Gable pavilions to outer left and right; doorway and single window at ground; single window in gablehead.

N AND S ELEVATIONS: 3-bay with central projecting porches; hoodmoulded windows flanking porches; 3 attic windows above.

Plate glass timber sash and case windows. Grey-purple slate roof;

2 coped ridge stacks; moulded cans; block skewputts.

INTERIOR: not seen 1995.

Statement of Special Interest

The original name of the Anderson Homes was the Widows? Asylum. It was erected at the instigation of Arthur Anderson (1792-1867), co-founder of the Peninsular & Orient Shipping Line, in memory of his wife, and were originally intended for the widows of seamen. The homes were erected about the same time as the Anderson Educational Institute, and are important in their own right being representative of a type of building which is becoming increasingly rare - the philanthropic almshouse. As with the Institute, it provides a dramatic feature at the southern approach to the harbour, although its impact has been reduced by the loss of the central fleche and several chimneys.



Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p15. Bod of Gremista Management Committee BOD OF GREMISTA (1989). Norman Hudson SOUVENIR POSTCARDS FROM SHETLAND (1992) p23.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at


Sorry, there are no images available for this record.


Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 30/05/2016 21:17