LIGHTHOUSE: Alan Stevenson, engineer, James Smith, contractor,
dated 1844. Tall circular 7-storey lighthouse/tower with
semi-circular, single storey range clasping base. White
painted tooled ashlar, polished ashlar dressings, some
contrasting painted. Centre entrance in S face; pedimented
doorpiece with pulvinated stringcourse and inscription.
Further entrances in S facing end gables of single storey
range. Singel narrow window in each storey of N face (sea
facing); flared corbelled upper stage with cast-iron
balustrade and galzed light.
KEEPERS' COTTAGES: pair single storey, Egyptian style
cottages; 10-bay (2 mirrored 5 bays) frontage with
alternating advanced and recessed bays. Tooled ashlar,
polished ashlar dressings, all white painted. Entrance or
window in advanced bays, each with heavy concave cornice; 4-
pane glazing to sash windows; flat roofs with batteries of 2
or 4 square stacks with flared copes.
Cottages and lighthouse linked by low coped wall enclosing
STEADING: presumably 1844. Long single storey, 2 facing 6-
bay range; tooled rubble, tooled ashlar dressings. Off-centre segmental-headed cart bay (now masked by double leaf plank
doors); 6 dooways and mural vents; 2 ridge stacks; piended
Statement of Special Interest
Inscription over main lighthouse entrance reads 'In salutem
omnium Northern Lights. Alan Stevenson, LLB, Engineer, James
Smith, Contractor, William Middlemiss, Superintendent.
The lighthouse now with automated light, the original light
in Lossiemouth Fisheries Museum.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.