1851 (northern 6 bays) and 1860-70 (southern 4 bays including
harbour master's office and return elevation to Commerce
Long E facing range (to harbour) 3-storey, 10-bay, returning
with bowed angle, and single gable bay to Commerce Street.
Rubble, tooled ashlar and tooled rubble dressings. Blocked
entrance (now window) in bowed angle; corniced entrance with
flanking windows, mural barometer recess and regular
Warehouse ranges extend continuous with, and to N of, harbour
master's office (now incorporating Fisheries Museum). 9
segmental-headed ground floor entranes, some flanked by
shallow circular mural recesses for lifebelts (1860-70) and
those to northern bays with narrow shuttered windows (1851).
All with double-leaf plank doors except that at extreme N end
which is blocked.
Regular fenestration, low in 2nd floor, breaking wallhead as
gabletted dormers above harbour master's office. Corrugated
asbestos roof to N 6 bays; slightly higher slated roof with 2
coped ridge stacks at S 4 bays.
At rear 4 rubble forestairs serve 1st and 2nd floors,
oversailing ground floor and some 1st floor doorways as
Low single storey extension at N with corrugated asbestos
Statement of Special Interest
Harbour at Stotfield Point, Branderburgh, constructed 1837-9, superseding the earlier harbour fronting Clifton Road,
Lossiemouth. The earlier portion of the warehouse range
originally included stable accommodation. This block shows up
on George McWilliam's plan of Branderburgh, 1855 but not
the range which includes the harbour master's office which
appears on the 1st ed. OS 1870.
Upgraded B to A, 24.3.88.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.