Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 03/08/1971
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Closeburn
National Grid Reference
- NGRNX 90760 92138
- Coordinates290760, 592138
Late 14th century rectangular-plan tower house with mostly
18th and 19th century alterations and low additions. Out-
buildings to west. TOWER HOUSE: 3 storeys over vaulted
basement, small-paned irregularly-spaced windows mostly
altered, with segmental heads; coursed rubble, ashlar
dressings; gabled stone slab roof with ball finial and ridge
stack all enclosed by parapet latter crenellated in 19th
century: cap house over north wallhead; Interior: yett
survives, and iron-studded door; wheel stair at north; now 2
rooms on each floor, north ground floor room vaulted with
plain plaster ceiling ribs and masks; bedroom cupboard on
upper floor has (re-set) plaster mask over door; attic also
vaulted. ADDITIONS: (mostly red ashlar) roofed forestair at
west to original door; castellated porch (after 1856) at
north, segmental-arched east-facing 2-leaf door with side
lights, recessed piended bay adjoining with segmental-arched
window (also east-facing) flanked by blind square openings
having margins linked with eaves band. Asymmetrical rear
elevation, kitchen linked with outbuildings. Corniced
octagonal or diamond flues; slate roof.
Statement of Special Interest
After the mansion house of Closeburn was destroyed by fire
1748, the Kirkpatrick family returned to the castle "fitting
it up as their residence" (Ramage). A Rowan, in SHAMBELLIE,
1982, p.16, notes that David Bryce, architect, had visted
Shambellie ".... while on business in the area at Capenoch
and Closeburn tower" (July 1854). Porch not shown on 1st ed
O.S. (surveyed 1856). View in Grose's ANTIQUITIES shows a
RCAHM, INVENTORY 1920. no 59 (incl plans and section) Grose,
ANTIQUITIES OF SCOTLAND, 1789 vol I, p.150 (incl
MacGibbon & Ross, CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE vol
III, 1889 (1977 reprint) p.128.
1982 sale catalogue in NMRS; 1845 sale particulars in SRO
GD 224/511/3. R M F Watson, CLOSEBURN, ETC 1901 Chapter V.
SRO RHP 9454.
COUNTRY LIFE 10.1.1947.
C T Ramage, DRUMLANRIG CASTLE AND THE DOUGLASES, 1876, p.184.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.