Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 26/02/1980
- Local Authority: North Ayrshire
- Planning Authority: North Ayrshire
- Burgh: Stevenston
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 26977 41146
- Coordinates226977, 641146
Hippolyte J Blanc, 1894-5. Perpendicular Gothic. Snecked red sandstone with polished ashlar dressings. Rectangular-plan church with south east transepts and south west octagonal tower. Door in W gable end under 4-centred arch, with moulded reveals and ogival hood mould. 2 narrow flanking lights 5-light window with perpendicular tracery above, the lower part blind and stepped over entrance arch. Angle buttress to NW with crocketted finial. Octagonal 2-stage tower, with corbelled shafts at the angles to the upper stage flanking bipartite belfry louvered lights. Battlemented parapet with truncated pinnacles at angles.
INTERIOR (information from photographs, 2012). Timber pews, pulpit and communion table. Segmental-arched roof with timber detail; hammerbeams and brackets with carved decorative infill above hammerbeams. Panelled timber gallery to W end above timber and glass screen. Several stained glass windows, depicting Biblical characters and scenes.
Statement of Special Interest
Place of worship in use as such. This well-detailed, gabled church by the well-known architect Hippolyte Blanc has a distinctive octagonal tower, and is a good addition to the streetscape of Stevenson. The timber decorative detailing to the interior roof is a distinctive feature and the decoration is similar to the tracery in the external windows.
The church was originally built as a United Presbyterian church, using red sandstone from the nearby Ballochmyle quarry. The memorial stone was laid in 1894 and the church was officially opened in 1895. The church merged with the Church of Scotland in 1929. A spire was planned for the centre of the tower, but was never built. There were originally pinnacles to the tower parapet and these were removed in the 1940s, after storm damage.
Hippolyte J Blanc (1844-1917) was an eminent and prolific Edinburgh-based architect who was perhaps best known for his Gothic revival churches, including Coats Memorial church, in Paisley (see separate listing). He was also a keen antiquarian and many of his buildings, as here, evoke an earlier Scottish style.
List description updated, 2012.
2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map, (1897). Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 04-09-12). D Rodger, Stevenson Ardeer Church, Centenary 1895-1995, (1995).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.