This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: C
  • Group Category Details: B - See Notes
  • Date Added: 23/02/1971


  • Local Authority: Scottish Borders
  • Planning Authority: Scottish Borders
  • Parish: Broughton, Glenholm And Kilbucho

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 11204 36704
  • Coordinates311204, 636704


Late 18th century, single storey 3-bay, symmetrical, L-plan street front cottage on the main street of the village. Squared coursed whinstone rubble with red sandstone quoins and margins. Painted and rendered rear elevation. Later openings with brick margins to rear.

Half-glazed bi-fold timber entrance door. 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Small grey graded slate roofs, corniced ashlar stack with octagonal clay cans.

INTERIOR: Rare survival of interior plan layout of small rooms and think internal walls. 4-panelled timber doors. Timber panelled shutters.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with Broughton Green House, Broughton Stores, Dassfauld, Dumra, Kintyre Cottage, The Lodge.

Avernish is a fine example of a small simple village cottage in almost original condition, central located on the main street and making a good contribution to the streetscape and local area. The internal layout of rooms survives with the thickness of the original walls in evidence and some original timber work.

Broughton Village was developed as an estate village to the former Broughton House and owned by the Lairds of the Barony of Broughton until 1921 at which point it was put up for public sale. The Symington, Broughton and Biggar Railway was opened in 1860 allowing business men to travel daily to Glasgow and Edinburgh resulting in an expansion of the village with new villas being built although the main street has retained its distinct early 19th century form.

Formerly listed as part of a long run of cottages, 'Broughton Village, 7 Cottages, Broughton Green House, Etc (See Paper List for Full Details)' List description updated and category changed from B to C(S) in 2011 following reassessment of the street.



1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1855). Buildings of Scotland, Borders, K Cruft, J Dunbar, R Fawcett (2006) p140. Glimpses of Old Broughton, Booklet. A Living Village 'The Story of the old village of Broughton over a period of 800 years'.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at