Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/05/1971
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Cardross
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 34208 78639
- Coordinates234208, 678639
15th century chapel dedicated to St Mahew; in 17th century nave became parish school; chancel retained as family burial vault of Napiers of Kilmahew; restored Ian Lindsay and Partners, 1953-55 as Roman Catholic parish church. Rectangular-plan church aligned E to W, with lean-to vestry against N wall. Painted harl with red sandstone crowstepped gables; masonry carved mouldings, roll-moulded at E end, chamfered now painted. Red sandstone ashlar birdcage bellcote.
S ELEVATION: 4-bay nave with higher chancel at E end, crowstepped gables. Door to outer left, 3 window symmetrically disposed to right. 2-bay nave to outer right; boarded door to left, window to right, roll- moulded surrounds.
N ELEVATION: nave with window off-centre to right, lean-to outshot at W end; chancel at E end, roll-moulded window to right.
E ELEVATION: gable, wall thickness deeper, small roll-moulded window at ground to right; small window in gablehead.
W ELEVATION: red sandstone apex birdcage bellcote, reconstructed 1950s on 18th century design, ashlar bell-cast roof, ball and cross finial. Window at ground to outer left.
12-pane sash and case timber windows; multi-paned window at E end. Grey slate roof, red sandstone roof ridging.
INTERIOR: Early Christian cross-inscribed stone slab at entrance. 1950s interior, glazed screen dividing main body of nave from entrance; carved and painted statue of Saint Margaret, painted flowing banner. Sculpted crucifixion scene above chancel against painted backdrop latin inscription beneath with datestones 1467 and 1955. Chancel area, red sandstone chancel arch; rubble; round-arched sedilia. Aumbry now glazed. Stained glass window in gable.
GRAVEYARD: number of plain grave slabs probably dating from the 17th century.
BOUNDARY WALL: rubble boundary wall with boulder coping.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The church was dedicated in 1467 to St Mahew. Following the Reformation the church served as a chapel of ease, and later as a village school with the E chancel maintained as a burial place. The historical research for the 1953-55 reconstruction was carried out by Fr David McRoberts acknowledged by a plaque inside. The Roman Catholic parish of St Mahews was formed in 1978.
TRANSACTIONS SCOTTISH ECCLESIOLOGICAL SOCIETY (1961) Rev David McRoberts. F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992), p57. SCOTTISH FIELD February 1957. Arthur F Jones CARDROSS THE VILLAGE IN DAYS GONE BY, p81.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.