Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 23/02/1996
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Cardross
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 34766 77444
- Coordinates234766, 677444
1956; renovated 1994. Single and 2-storey, asymmetrical Modern Movement style golf club. Harled and painted white. 2-storey flat-roofed block to SE angle with asymmetrically disposed windows, glazed bow at 1st floor to NW angle, 2 porches to E elevation with row of regular windows between. Single storey wings extending at right angles to N and W from 2-storey block with broad, almost fully glazed bowed projections radiating from N and W elevations.
1994 main door on road elevation, sandstone clad with projecting curved canopy.
Some original metal framed casement windows, bowed projections with modern aluminium windows. Flat roof.
Statement of Special Interest
The Cardross Golf Clubhouse is an important golf club of the post-war building period, built in the modern style. There are very few Modernist golf clubhouses in the country. Painted white, the design also draws from Art-Deco 1930s architecture with its stream-lined, angular plan-form and large bowed-windowed communal rooms facing N and W towards the golf course. The combination of the Deco and Modernist style distinguish the building as a rare and distinctive example of its building type in the early post-war building period. The Clubhouse replaced an earlier club (1905) which is understood to have been destroyed by enemy fire during the second World War. The present building owes its height and footprint to its predecessor, as the War Damage Commission required that it follow the general size and massing of the earlier clubhouse.
Scotland is widely recognised internationally as the home of golf. Early versions of the game were being played in Scotland during the middle ages. The 'Articles and Laws in the Playing of Golf' were penned in 1744 by the Company of Gentlemen Golfers in Edinburgh. Its principles, as played over 18 holes, still underpin the regulations of the modern game.
The popularity of golf in Scotland increased significantly with improved transport and availability of leisure time from the mid 19th century onwards. Early clubs and societies initially met in rooms at an inn or a members' house near to their course. Purpose-built clubhouses became more common from the mid-nineteenth century onwards and these were typically enlarged with bar, restaurant and other facilities in stages as the popularity of the game increased further throughout the 19th and 20th century.
Scotland has produced many pioneering names in golf including five times Open Championship winner and course architect James Braid (1870-1950), and the aforementioned (Old) Tom Morris (1821-1908). The Scottish Golf Union have indicated there are currently around 550 golf courses in Scotland with a total membership of approximately 236,000.
List description updated as part of the sporting buildings thematic study (2012-13).
F A Walker and F, Sinclair North Clyde Estuary (1992) p59. Charles McKean The Scottish Thirties (1987), pp89-90. Further information courtesy of Arthur Jones.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.