Predominantly late 19th century, built in stages 1861-1899. 2-storey Tudor gothic former residential home with castellated tower, now municipal offices. Rectangular-plan. Bull-faced red sandstone with ashlar dressings, stonecleaned with acid late 1980s; base course, chamfered arrises. Corbelled parapet to outer pavilion bays.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 9-bay elevation with 2-storey entrance bay advanced to centre with round-arched, hoodmoulded arch to porch, colonnettes flanking, short flight of steps; acarved armorial above with string course continuous with flanking bays as cill course to 1st floor window; stepped gablehead with angle and apex shafts and blank tablet. Pointed-arch arcade flanking, 3 bays to left, 4 to right with sturdy sandstone shafts and composite capitals, cross-mullioned windows behind, and windows with gabled dormerheads at 1st floor above; arcade open to right return, closed to left by advanced pavilion bay with
large rectangular hoodmoulded window at ground and 1st floor window with piend-roofed dormerhead.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: altered post 1918 with 5-bay with large 5-part window spanning pavilion elevation under hoodmould, with smaller 5-light (timber mullioned) window above at centre, flanked by windows breaking eaves in mansarded dormerheads.
TOWER: breaking eaves to rear, set in re-entrant angle formed with end of pavilion block and recessed rear elevation. Door at ground on return with fanlight and cornice; blinded panels at 3rd stage, machicolated corbel course at wallhead, arching over narrow lights and supporting crenellated parapet with water spouts.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: tower off-centre right and variety of irregular openings including tripartite window, canted window (post 1918), large window and modern metal fire escape.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: end of arcade with pointed arch opening and closing pier to outer left, stone mullioned tri- and bipartite windows to pavilion elevation. Modern glazing. Green slates with decorative clay finials and ridge tiles.
INTERIOR: refurbished for use as municipal offices in 1960s(?) Scandinavian style with good timber detailing; staircase with metal balustrade, leading to landing with oval well similarly balustraded giving light to upper floor. Piers with filleted angles of timber strips. Some timber wainscot cladding. Polished timber floor with decorative border. Glazed doors with stylised brass handles. Some light fittings original to refurbishment in situ.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.