Dated 1872. 2-storey 3-bay near-symmetrical villa of rectangular plan with single storey service wing to rear (N). Stugged squared and snecked sandstone principal front, harl-pointed side and rear elevations, all with polished ashlar dressings and details, droved at arrises. Base course and eaves cornice.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 6-panel 2-leaf timber entrance door with plate glass fanlight at ground in centre bay; doorpiece comprising pilasters with scrolled brackets flanking lintel and supporting cornice. Bipartite windows at ground and 1st floors in bay at left. 2-storey, 3-light canted bay with corniced lintel at ground in bay to right. Projecting cills and stop chamfered arrises at windows. Long and short dressings to windows and at corners.
W ELEVATION: narrow windows to left of centre at ground; modern single storey conservatory projecting at right; narrow window at 1st floor to right of centre.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: round-arched stair window centred at 1st floor, windows at ground and 1st floors in flanking bays; harled rubble service wing advanced at ground.
E ELEVATION: single window centre at 1st floor.
Some timber sash and case windows surviving; plate glass to principal front, 4 and 6-pane to side and rear elevations and service wing. Purple-grey slate piended platform roof with profiled cast-iron gutter to principal elevation; decorative cast-iron brattishing with wrought-iron finials at corners. Stugged sandstone wallhead stacks centring side elevations; corniced with octagonal and circular cans.
INTERIOR: internal fitting surviving include 4-panel doors, panelled shutters and plaster cornices. Timber staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail. Stained glass stair window bearing date 1872.
BOUNDARY WALLS: random rubble walls, stugged and droved ashlar gatepiers with bases and cavetto-moulded caps with urns centring house to S; flanking quadrant walls with saddleback cope, terminated to E by cement-rendered and lined pier.
PUMP: cast-iron pump (to W of house) on stugged ashlar plinth by George Smith & Co of Sun Foundry Glasgow.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.