This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 12/08/1996


  • Local Authority: Shetland Islands
  • Planning Authority: Shetland Islands
  • Burgh: Lerwick

National Grid Reference

  • NGRHU 47630 41357
  • Coordinates447630, 1141357


William Hamilton Beattie, dated 1887, incorporating 18th century Stout's House, and enlarged 1908. 3-storey and attic, 5-bay asymmetrical Scots Baronial hotel on rising site. Complex comprises 5-storey single bay tower (built on former gabled Stouts House) to SE corner of 3-storey and attic principal block to Commercial Street with variety of single storey and attic additions to rear. Cement-rendered shopfront, harl-pointed rubble lower floors to tower, stugged ashlar walls to principal elevation, squared and snecked side and rear elevations all with mixture of cement-rendered, and stugged and droved, sandstone dressings and details. Corniced and bracketted cills.

E (COMMERCIAL STREET) ELEVATION: tower advanced in bay to outer left. Corniced and painted shopfront at ground with opening containing door at left and shop window at right. Single window at 1st floor in bay to left, centred at 2nd floor, offset to left at 3rd floor with 2-storey corbelled and machicolated circular bartizan with narrow windows at corner to right, rising through parapetted eaves of tower to corniced eaves and conical roof surmounted by wrought-iron weathervane; corresponding bartizan at SE corner.

Entrance bays recessed at left, ground floor; round-arched vertically- boarded timber door abutting re-entrant; heavy carved rope hoodmould articulated around datestone centred over arch-head, cast-iron ventilator in chamfered opening with column at centre. Symmetrical arrangement in bays to right comprising hotel entrance at centre with flanking shopfronts. Modern hotel door, stone doorpiece with panelled pilasters supporting paired consoles surmounted by cornice and corniced dies (perhaps balustraded between). 3-bay shopfronts flanking, each with basket-arched openings to recessed central 2-leaf panelled and glazed entrance doors with flanking cast-iron columns and 2-pane fixed-lights. Cornice articulated around doorpiece and oriel corbelled out at right. 1st floor; bipartite windows at ground and 1st floors in bay to outer left, regular fenestration in bay at right, crowstepped M-gable breaking eaves at head of bays, finialled at left, apex stack at right, with margined round-arched windows in gableheads. Bipartite at 1st floor in entrance bay, pedimented dormer with thistle finial breaking eaves above. 4-light canted bay, breaking eaves and corbelled out to square with crowstepped gablehead containing round-arched window.

N ELEVATION: crowstepped gables flanking centre bay, dormer with pedimented dormerhead breaking eaves. Apex stacks to gables, missing at gable to right, also with right skew built up to platform roof.

S ELEVATION: 4 bays (grouped 2-2) to left of tower; door at 1st floor in bay at outer left, additional window centred at 3rd floor.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: crowstepped gable with apex stack at outer right, elevation obscured below by range to Pitt Lane; 5 irregularly fenestrated bays to left, 2nd and 3rd floors visible, lower floors obscured by single-storey and attic additions.

Timber sash and case windows, plate glass to principal front, mainly 4-pane to side and rear elevations. Platform roof to principal block with slated pitch to E, piend-roofed, slate-hung timber dormer with plate glass timber sash and case window. Grey slate and tile piended roofs, to additions at rear, gabled timber dormers with sash and case windows.

Stugged sandstone stacks with deep copes and circular cans to principal block.

INTERIOR: patterned, coloured tiles to entrance vestibule floor. Plasterwork ceilings surviving in principal rooms at 1st and 2nd floors.

Statement of Special Interest

The house incorporated in the S end of the complex belonged to an Orcadian called John Kelday. His daughter Elizabeth married John Grierson in 1755 and it remained in the Grierson family until it was bought by Thomas Stout and became known as Stoots Hoose. The Commercial Bank tried to acquire the property but Stout would not sell. The bank applied to the Town Council to declare the house unsafe in the hope it would force Stout to sell, but he retained ownership until his death and the family sold it to Messrs. Leask who laid the foundation stone of the Grand Hotel in 1886, appointing John M Aitken as contractor. Aitken reputedly advised Beattie that the walls of the S elevation would support the new work, and therefore enhance the look of the Hotel. Stoots Hoose contained the Grand Hotel Bar until becoming a bakers? shop in the 1930's.



Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990), p16. Aurora YESC, DA STREET (1994). James W Irvine LERWICK (1985) p177. Norman Hudson SOUVENIR POSTCARDS FROM SHETLAND (1992) p15. James R Nicolson LERWICK HARBOUR (1966) p28. Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) p42 and 210. John Gifford HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (1992) p494.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at