Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 12/08/1996
- Local Authority: Shetland Islands
- Planning Authority: Shetland Islands
- Burgh: Lerwick
National Grid Reference
- NGRHU 47715 41275
- Coordinates447715, 1141275
Circa 1900. 2-storey over concealed basement, 3 x 3-bay retail warehouse of square plan on sloping site. Stugged squared and snecked sandstone walls, droved at arrises. Base course, band course at 1st floor.
S (COMMERCIAL STREET) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical, principal floor, curved corner to left, segmental-arched windows with projecting cills, additional matching window between bays to left of centre, and 6-panel 2-leaf timber entrance door to right. Regular fenestration at 1st floor.
W (MARKET CROSS) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical, infilled basement window in bay at outer left, regular fenestration at principal and 1st floors.
N (HARBOUR) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical, 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber doors in centre and right bays at basement, fixed-light with iron bars in bay to left. Additional smaller window inserted at principal floor between bays at centre and outer right. Regular fenestration at 1st floor.
Plate glass fixed-lights to shop windows on Commercial Street, 4-pane casements to principal windows of principal floor at rear, 4-pane timber sash and case windows to other openings. Grey slate pyramidal roof with cast-iron gutters and downpipes. Stugged ashlar stacks, shouldered wallhead stacks flanking centre bay of W elevation, multi-flue stack to E elevation, all corniced with circular cans.
Statement of Special Interest
The firm of Anderson & Co was established in 1872 by Thomas Anderson, his brother Robert joining the business a year later. This is a building of good quality construction and strong character that is appropriate to its immediate surroundings, and as such makes an important contribution to the streetscape of Commercial Street, Market Cross, and the harbour.
Aurora YESC, DA STREET (1994). Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) plate 5.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.