Alexander Campbell, 1905-6. 2-storey and attic over concealed basement, 3-bay symmetrical Scots Baronial tenement of square double-pile plan. Stugged squared and snecked sandstone principal elevations with stugged and droved dressings and details, harl-pointed rubble side elevations with stugged and droved ashlar dressings. Projecting cills at windows.
W (COMMERCIAL STREET) ELEVATION: cement-rendered, lined and painted shopfront at principal floor comprising modern common stair door at centre, central panelled and glazed doors with 3-pane uppers and 2-pane fanlights, cast-iron columns, stall-risers, and windows flanking; stop chamfered piers framing shopfront, corniced frieze above. 3-light canted bays with stone roofs in each bay at 1st floor, crowstepped nepus gable with segmental-arched window breaking eaves at centre of 2nd floor, dormers with crowstepped and ball-finialled stone dormerheads, breaking eaves in flanking bays.
SIDE ELEVATIONS: irregularly fenestrated, 6-panel door with 2-pane fanlight centring N elevation.
E (ESPLANADE) ELEVATION: symmetrical; plate glass fixed-lights at basement, paired in centre bay, 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber doors flanking, fixed-lights flanking to outer left and right. Bipartite windows in each bay at principal floor, centre window offset slightly to left. Regular fenestration at 1st and 2nd floors, central gable with flanking dormers matching W elevation.
Some plate glass and 4-pane timber sash and case windows surviving. Purple-grey slate platform roof, stugged sandstone stacks with octagonal cans.
Statement of Special Interest
In August 1905, the old building on this site was demolished and the present building erected by E S Reid & Co to plans by Campbell, the contractor being a Mr Magnus P Morrison. Manson?s book of 1923 refers to the building by saying "unlike some others of the best buildings in Lerwick this was designed by a local architect, and built by a local contractor". The site was formerly occupied by a house lived in by James Ogilvy, a merchant in Lerwick, but was burnt out in 1824. The walls stood for over 50 years and it became known to the townspeople as "De Brunt Hoose". It was subsequently used for a fischcuring operation with the cooperage in the cellars, the floor above being replaced by a roof. The elevation to Commercial Street is of an impressive scale compared to its neighbours, and the shopfront is an interesting survival. The elevation to the harbour is particularly prominent, and makes a major contribution to the townscape when viewed from the east.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.