Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 12/08/1996
- Local Authority: Shetland Islands
- Planning Authority: Shetland Islands
- Burgh: Lerwick
National Grid Reference
- NGRHU 47642 41382
- Coordinates447642, 1141382
Later 19th century. 2-storey and attic with basement 3-bay tenement of rectangular plan with chamfered corner to NW, principal elevations to Commercial Street and Esplanade with closes flanking to N and S. Painted shopfront to Commercial Street, stugged squared and snecked sandstone end elevations, and rubble sides. Stop-chamfered window reveals.
W (COMMERCIAL STREET) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, 3 bays including chamfered corner bay at left. Principal floor; shop windows in corner bay and at left of centre bay with modern 2-leaf shop door (with tiled threshold) to right, door in bay at outer right, frieze and cornice over shopfront. Segmental-arched windows with keystones at 1st floor, bipartite at centre bay, single windows to flanking bays; string course above, articulated around blank panel at corner bay. Round-arched windows at 2nd floor with crowstepped dormerheads breaking eaves in corner bay and centred over bays at right.
S (QUENDALE LANE) ELEVATION: nearly blank, except for windows at 1st floor and door at basement.
N (NICOLSON?S CLOSS) ELEVATION: 3 random windows at 1st floor of otherwise blank elevation.
E (ESPLANADE) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical, 4-pane shop window at basement with door in bay at left. Window centred at 1st floor with flanking narrower windows, frieze above, segmental-arched windows centred at floors above, bipartite at 1st floor, timber-headed dormer breaking eaves at 2nd floor.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows at 1st and 2nd floors except for 4-pane to E dormer, modern glazing to shop and at basement. Modern grey tile piended roof, stugged sandstone wallhead stacks at E and W ends of N and S elevations, all coped with circular cans.
Statement of Special Interest
In 1863, a Dr Loeterbagh bought a chemist?s shop which was a house built before 1800 for one of the Greigs of Leog. He was a ship?s surgeon from Dordrecht, who had visited Lerwick with Dutch fishermen and subsequently acquired British qualifications after studying in Edinburgh. Medical Hall was bought by a Mr Linklater in 1876, and then by a Mr Stout in 1895. This building provides a striking focus at this corner of Commercial Street, particularly when viewed from the N.
Aurora YESC, DA STREET (1994). James W Irvine LERWICK (1985). Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) p46.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.