Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 12/08/1996
- Local Authority: Shetland Islands
- Planning Authority: Shetland Islands
- Burgh: Lerwick
National Grid Reference
- NGRHU 47688 41321
- Coordinates447688, 1141321
1906. 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical office of square plan with 2-storey wing projecting to N from NW corner. Cement-rendered and lined walls and details, all painted. Base course.
E (ESPLANADE) ELEVATION: 4-panel, 2-leaf timber door with plate glass fanlight in round-arched opening, keystone centring arch, hoodmould with bracketted stops over. Bipartite windows with curved reveals in flanking bays. Architraved circular clock by Potts & Son of Leeds centred over door, windows breaking eaves in flanking bays with curvilinear dormerheads.
S (IRVINE PLACE) ELEVATION: formerly symmetrical, originally with window centred at ground flanked by doors (that at right now infilled) with flanking narrow windows and further windows to outer left and right of elevation. Tripartite window centred at 1st floor, breaking eaves with curvilinear dormerhead; matching window adjacent to left.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical, tripartite windows to left of centre at ground and 1st floors (latter matching S elevation); small square window only at ground in bay at right; modernised 2-storey wing extending to left.
N ELEVATION: 2-bay elevation; partially obscured by modernised gabled wing advanced at right. Paired narrow windows at ground and 1st floors flanking chimneygable breaking eaves with curvilinear pediment.
Modern glazing to E elevation; plate glass timber sash and case windows elsewhere. Purple-grey slate piended platform roof with overhanging timber eaves and profiled cast-iron gutters and downpipes. Cement-rendered, coped wallhead stacks to right of centre at S elevation, and flanking dormer at rear elevation.
YARD WALL: cement-rendered and painted wall bounding yard to N, decorative metal town crest supported by timber post inset in E wall, terminated to S by square gatepier with pyramidal cap, 2-leaf wrought-iron gates.
Statement of Special Interest
Built around the time of Lerwick Harbour?s busiest period, this is a building of distinctive character that was once central to the life of the harbour. An old photograph shows the office with a single storey 3-bay piend-roofed building with matching details to the N where the yard now is. Nicolson?s book records that "in 1906 Messrs Jamieson Brothers began work on a new harbour office with a flat on the 1st floor intended for the Assistant Harbour Master. A public convenience was added to the N in 1908".
Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p21. James W Irvine LERWICK (1985) p177. Norman Hudson SOUVENIR POSTCARDS FROM SHETLAND (1992) p13. James R Nicolson LERWICK HARBOUR (1966) p63.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.