Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: C
  • Date Added: 12/08/1996


  • Local Authority: Shetland Islands
  • Planning Authority: Shetland Islands
  • Burgh: Lerwick

National Grid Reference

  • NGRHU 47828 40946
  • Coordinates447828, 1140946


Early 19th century. Triangular cemetery with 3-bay classical arched entrance gateway at N corner. Cement-rendered and lined rubble boundary wall, partially with droved ashlar cope. Droved ashlar entrance gateway comprising segmental-arched carriage gate at centre gate; coped with stepped block pediment above, flanked by lower, slightly recessed pedestrian gateways.

Variety of grave enclosures comprising cast-iron railings on droved ashlar copes, lining E and S walls and flanking path along W wall. Monument to Laurenson family in enclosure no 12, comprising marble round-arched memorial slabs set in Romanesque arcaded red sandstone recesses in ashlar-coped stugged sandstone wall.

Statement of Special Interest

By 1829, the old Lerwick kirkyard was full. The Heritors of the town decided in March 1831 to recommend the triangular piece of ground which now forms what is now known as the Old Cemetery. Originally laid out as a park circa 1820, before being designated a burial ground on 14th April 1831. Records of the Heritors meeting of the 16th January 1835 mention a Mr William Matheson, surveyor, had drawn a plan of the ground and had designed the entrance gate.



E S Reid Tait A LERWICK MISCELLANY (1955), p55. Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) plate 8.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at


Sorry, there are no images available for this record.


Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 25/05/2016 14:01