James Malcolm Baikie of Kirkwall, 1911. 5 x 1-bay gothic church of rectangular plan with gabled entrance porches projecting in outer left bays of N and S elevations, and apsed chancel projecting from W elevation. Bull-faced squared and snecked Bressay freestone with polished Eday sandstone ashlar dressings and details. Base and eaves courses, angle buttresses at corners.
N (HARBOUR STREET) ELEVATION: 5-bay asymmetrical elevation with bays divided by buttresses; gabled porch projecting in bay to outer left comprising pointed-arched hoodmoulded door in gable, arcaded 2-light window with pointed arch-heads in E side. 2-light trefoil-headed plate traceried windows with hoodmoulded pointed-arched surrounds in bays to right.
E (ST OLAF STREET) ELEVATION: stepped, arcaded, and hoodmoulded 3-light window centring gable with blind trefoil in gablehead.
S ELEVATION: mirrored image of N elevation except for 2-light window also in E side of porch.
W ELEVATION: apsidal chancel projecting with lancets in side elevations; semicircular end buttressed at poles; deep moulded eaves course. Blind trefoil centred in gablehead above.
Purple-grey slate roofs to main pitches, porches and apse; fishscale pattern to latter. Profiled cast-iron gutters and octagonal downpipes with hoppers and decorative brackets. Triangular ashlar skew copes with stone crosses at apexes of principal and porch gables.
INTERIOR: 2-leaf inner entrance door with vertically-boarded panelling. Marble memorial slab to Margaret Cruickshanks (benefactress of the church who died in 1910) on E window cill. Timber floor, pews, and vertically-boarded wainscoting to nave. Diamond pattern glazing with coloured glass to windows; stained glass by C R Sinclair of 1986 in E window depicting modern and historic Shetland industry. Open timber roof over 4 pointed-arched trusses bearing on plain ashlar corbels. Large pointed-arched hoodmoulded opening to sanctuary; ornate timber screen fronted by altar with carved relief of Last Supper; niche containing cross centring screen with carved cross above, smaller flanking niches containing religious figures.
87 ST OLAF STREET (PRESBYTERY): circa 1910. 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical house of rectangular plan. Bull-faced squared and snecked sandstone principal front, rubble side and rear elevations, all with droved ashlar dressings. 4-panel timber entrance door with plate glass fanlight above at ground in centre bay. Single storey, 3-light canted bays in flanking bays, each with cill course, cornice and blocking course. Regular fenestration at 1st floor with bipartite windows in outer bays. Blank S gable; 2 closely spaced windows at 1st floor to right of centre in N gable. Modern lean-to additions at ground to rear elevation; tall stair window centred at 1st floor; irregular fenestration in flanking bays.
Timber sash and case windows; predominantly plate glass, 4-pane centring canted bays, 21-pane border-glazed fixed-light to stair window. Purple-grey slate roof with cast-iron gutters and downpipes with hopper at right. Bull-faced sandstone apex stacks, coped with octagonal cans.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES, AND GATEPIERS: bull-faced sandstone dwarf wall with droved ashlar cope surmounted by Art Nouveau influenced cast-iron railing to Harbour and St Olaf Streets. Bull-faced sandstone square gatepiers to church with droved ashlar pyramidal caps and 2-leaf cast-iron gates matching railing. Random rubble boundary wall to W. Cast-iron gate matching railing to presbytery.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.