Sir William Bruce, 1695-99. 2-storey with raised basement and attic, 6-bay rectangular plan Classical villa, with substantial additions to N, by William Burn (circa 1830), David Bryce (1852) and Robert Lorimer (1926). Polished ashlar sandstone, with raised rusticated quoins. Channelled basement. Cornices to windows of principal floor with pulvinated frieze.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 6-bay, with centre 2 advanced. Flight of steps to architraved door at centre of principal floor, with carved urn in swagged cavetto roundel above, flanked by single windows; single windows at 1st floor; capped by pediment, with date 1699 and coat-of-arms in tympanum, surmounted by pineapple. 3 evenly disposed dormers set between bays. Advanced 3-bay pavilion at outer right, replacing former quadrant link, now with flat roof, by William Burn, circa 1830, with single window at each floor in reveal to left.
S ELEVATION: 4-bay with loggia at ground in central bay, flanked by single windows in outer bays, supporting canted window, with wrought-iron balustrade above, at principal floor; single window at outer left. 2 windows flanking smaller window at centre of 1st floor, with single windows at outer bays.
W ELEVATION: 6-bay with projecting 2-bay central block, capped by pediment, with coat-of-arms in tympanum. 3-bay bow dining-room extension to outer left (William Burn). Window to each floor in each bay. 3 evenly disposed bipartite dormer windows set between bays (1953).
N ELEVATION: Burn addition spanning elevation. 3 bays slightly advanced to right of centre; basement; window at outer left, and ashlar staircase with wrought-iron handrail clasping corner to outer right. Principal floor; tripartite window with blind side lights at centre, panelled and glazed timber door in bay at right, window in bay at left. 1st floor, blank at centre with regular fenestration in flanking bays. Elevation at left of centre obscured by Bryce (staff) wing projecting to N. Adjoined again by L-plan 1950s addition extending N.
Variety of timber sash and case windows, in small-pane glazing pattern; piend and platform roof, 1953, with graded grey slates.
INTERIOR: 17th century apartments, at ground floor, by Bruce. Panels, sopraporta paintings, including some probably by Norie, and carved wooden Gibbons-esque ornamentation; wrought-iron balustrade between principal and 1st floors, with floral decoration, and incorporating monograms of 2nd Earl of Annandale and wife. Minimal additions by Lorimer. Basement range recesses.
PAVILION AND SERVICE COURT: low 2-storey former pavilion to NE, 2 x 1-bay, small windows to ground, larger to 1st floor ( aligned with principal floor); remnants of earlier service ranges, including work of 1950s to NE.
Statement of Special Interest
A Group with Craigiehall Dovecot, Grotto, Grotto Bridge, Stable Court, Sundials and Walled Garden (see separate listings).
Bruce built Craigiehall for the 2nd Earl of Annandale, a distant relative, replacing a castellated house that stood on the same site. Craigiehall was referred to in the reign of David I (1124-1153), when the estate was owned by a John De Craigie. A Craigie heiress married into the Stewart of Durisdeer family, who owned Craigiehall until 1643, when it was sold to the John Fairholm, the Treasurer of the City of Edinburgh. His granddaughter Sophia, her father's heir, married William Johnstone, the 2nd Earl of Annandale, in 1682 and they set about building a larger residence at Craigiehall in the 1690's. Their initials, SCA and WEA (Sophia Countess of Annandale and William Earl of Annandale, respectively), and coat-of-arms are to be seen in the pediments at the front and the back of the house.
On the death of the 2nd Marqess of Annandale in 1710 the estate passed to his nephew Charles Hope, 3rd son of the 1st Earl of Hopetoun. Eventually it passed into the hands of the Rosebery family, and in turn became Crown Property. It is currently used as the Army Headquarters Scotland.
William Adam proposed to rebuild the central east front, circa 1730, to a more contemporary style, and to remodel part of the interior, but the plans were not realised. Lorimer's alterations included the removal of all the original ceilings on the principal and first floors.
The stair balustrade has a parallel at Caroline Park, Granton, with its similarly elaborate wrought-iron work. Both are supposed to be the work of Alexander and William Eizat.
The unfortunate absence of the stacks has lost the intended skyline interest.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.