This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: C
  • Date Added: 06/04/1999


  • Local Authority: East Dunbartonshire
  • Planning Authority: East Dunbartonshire
  • Burgh: Bearsden

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 55446 72058
  • Coordinates255446, 672058


Early 20th century. 2-storey, 10-bay rectangular-plan Old English style house. White harled and red brick, predominantly tile-hung at 1st floor. Timber margins; brick base course to rear elevation; tiled gables, some with timber barge boards; exposed rafter ends. Timber mullions and transoms.

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: advanced glazed gabled porch to right of centre at ground, half-timbered with herringbone brick pattern infills; decorative barge boards; pointed arch opening with metal studs, flanked by 12-pane leaded windows in pointed trifoliate arches, repeated at NE return; 12-panel segmental-arched timber door with glazed upper panels with leaded window to left. Bipartite window above porch at 1st floor; 5-light window to left of porch at ground, with 5-light window aligned above at 1st floor. Advanced broad red brick full-height canted bay to right of porch, squared at eaves, with tripartite window at ground, 4-light window centred at 1st floor, bipartite windows to returns. 4-light window in bay to outer right at ground with 6-light oriel window aligned above at 1st floor. 3 bays to outer left advanced, with pair of windows to right of centre at ground, tripartite window to left at ground, bipartite window aligned above at 1st floor. 3 bay SW return to right comprising piended roof stair tower breaking eaves in penultimate bay from right, with window centred at 1st floor, flanked by service entrance comprising timber door with glazed upper panel to right at ground, with carriage lamp centred above, window aligned above at 1st floor, window to left at ground floor.

SW ELEVATION: advanced 6-light window centred at ground; 4-light window centred at 1st floor.

NE ELEVATION: 5-bay; 5 irregularly-spaced windows at ground. Tripartite window to left of centre at 1st floor, flanked by 4-light window to left, oriel window to left with glazed returns.

SE (REAR) ELEVATION: 8-bay; recessed 5-bay loggia to right of centre at ground, comprising round-arched timber openings with metal studs, red brick walls to openings to outer left and right, surmounted by half-timbered frieze with red brick herringbone pattern infills and steps to garden, flanked to left by full-height canted bay, squared at eaves, 2-light at ground, with glazed returns, 2-light at 1st floor, with glazed returns; 6-light window to outer right at ground floor, turning

corner. 4-light window to outer left at ground, with glazed return at SW elevation. 4-light windows at centre and right at 1st floor; bipartite windows to left of centre and outer left at 1st floor.

Multi-pane leaded windows. Rosemary tile jerkin-headed roofs. Bipartite piended dormer. Cast-iron rainwater goods. White harled ridge stacks; coped, with circular cans.

INTERIORS: not seen, 1998.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATE PIERS AND GATES: red brick boundary walls in filigree chequerboard above dado-height panels. 2 pairs of square-plan corniced decorative gatepiers, 2 metal plaques reading 'Romanhurst' and '18' incorporated into gatepier to outer right; vertically-boarded timber gates.

Statement of Special Interest

18 Boclair Road is evocative of the later style of William Leiper (1839-1916), especially with its combination of leaded lights, simple decorative barge boards, half-timbering, and canted bays continuing into tiled first floors. 18 Boclair Road is within Old Bearsden Outstanding Conservation Area.



Ordnance Survey map, 1922 (not evident); Ordnance Survey map, 1933 (evident).

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at