This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: C
  • Date Added: 06/04/1999


  • Local Authority: East Dunbartonshire
  • Planning Authority: East Dunbartonshire
  • Burgh: Bearsden

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 55028 71275
  • Coordinates255028, 671275


Late 19th century. Single storey and attic, 3-bay, T-plan gabled villa with single storey L-plan wing. White harled with applied half-timbered gables. Timber bargeboards; exposed rafter ends. Irregular fenestration of predominantly tripartite windows with timber mullions and transoms.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central advanced porch with catslide roof and 2-leaf timber-boarded door with side lights; glazed returns; small dormer above. Tripartite window to right with dormer above; tripartite canted window with cornice in 2-storey gable to left; tripartite window above.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: tall wallhead stacks to side elevations. Irregularly fenestrated single storey wing to rear.

Variety of casement windows. Grey slate roofs, jerkin-headed service wing to right at SE elevation. Pair of 20th century skylights to rear. Wallhead stacks with short red clay cans. Plastic and cast-iron rainwater goods.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: coped squared and snecked rubble walls; pedestrian and vehicular gates to left and right of house at SE elevation, gatepiers in round-headed field gate form, contemporary with house, vertically boarded timber gates with railed upper section.

Statement of Special Interest

A well-designed and prominent small villa, built for the Glasgow Corporation waterworks as a watchman's house to oversee the nearby water main valve chamber. A number of watchmen's cottages were constructed at critical points along the course of the conduit, which runs from Loch Katrine to Mugdock and Craigmaddie reservoirs and thence into Glasgow, to ensure the safety and upkeep of the water supply system. This house is the best architecturally (reflecting its up-market location) and least altered of all these cottages.

The Glasgow Corporation Water Works system, which brings water down to Glasgow from Loch Katrine, was admired internationally as an engineering marvel when it was opened in 1860. It was one of the most ambitious civil engineering schemes to have been undertaken in Europe since Antiquity, employing the most advanced surveying and construction techniques available, including the use of machine moulding and vertical casting technologies to produce the cast-iron pipes. The scheme represents the golden age of municipal activity in Scotland and not only provided Glasgow with fresh drinking water, thereby paving the way for a significant increase in hygiene and living standards, but also a source of hydraulic power that was indispensable to the growth of Glasgow's industry as a cheap and clean means of lifting and moving heavy plant in docks, shipyards and warehouses. The civic pride in this achievement is visible in every structure connected with the scheme. The scheme was built in two main phases following Acts of 1855 and 1885. The 1855 phase was opened by Queen Victoria in 1859 and was fully operational by 1860.

List description updated following thematic review of Glasgow waterworks, 2008.



shown on 2nd edition OS map (1899). RCAHMS and Jelle Muylle, Glasgow Corporation Water Works Related Structures, Phase II: Milngavie / Craigmaddie reservoirs and Glasgow City Centre Supply Distribution (survey report, not published, 2008).

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at