Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 16/09/1999
- Local Authority: Orkney Islands
- Planning Authority: Orkney Islands
- Parish: Cross And Burness
National Grid Reference
- NGRHY 65944 38433
- Coordinates365944, 1038433
Parallel piers with slipway between, forming narrow harbour. Original coursed rubble pier with flagstone pavement to south, 1833, extended, concrete, 1883; stugged, sandstone ashlar steps to water with cast-iron railings to N side. Later, (20th century), shorter, hook-ended concrete pier to N; modern steel (?) railing to N side. Central slipway built of vertically-set flagstones; cast-iron capstan, Westerman, Genoa to landward end.
ORIGINAL PIER: 2-storey, 9-bay random rubble (harl-pointed to N) former storehouse to landward end; regularly fenestrated; uPVC windows; Welsh slate roof. Small 2-storey square-plan light tower adjoining single storey, piended roof store to seaward end. Adjacent single-storey brick gabled store.
SLIPWAY: small, single storey, square-plan gabled weighbridge hut at head of slipway; cement-rendered; cast-iron weighbridge to E side.
Statement of Special Interest
Although not as important a fishing harbour as Whitehall on the island of Stronsay, Kettletoft was nevertheless a significant harbour on Sanday and supported a small settlement throughout the 19th century. The substantial 2-storey store at the pierhead was originally entered through an arched doorway; now a square-headed entrance leads to a general store.
J Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND, VOL II, (1979), p250; Leslie Burgher, ORKNEY, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1991), p 90; J Gifford, HIGHLAND AND ISLANDS, (Buildings of Scotland Series), (1992), p 356.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.