Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 03/11/1999
- Local Authority: Scottish Borders
- Planning Authority: Scottish Borders
- Parish: Broughton, Glenholm And Kilbucho
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 11469 34407
- Coordinates311469, 634407
Circa 1845 with later additions and alterations. Symmetrical 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan farmhouse with later single storey porch at rear; separate steading set behind. Squared and snecked whinstone (rake-jointed in part); harled elevation to S; cream sandstone dressings. Eaves course; crowstepped-patterned eaves to gableheads; sandstone dormerheads. Droved quoins and long and short surrounds to chamfered openings; timber mullions; chamfered cills. Original U-plan steading with later square-plan range adjoined to S forming double courtyard. Single storey ancillary structure to SW.
FARMHOUSE, E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: slightly advanced
central bay with timber panelled door at ground; plate glass fanlight; keystoned surround; finialled, gabled dormerhead to keystoned, bipartite window breaking eaves above. Bipartite windows at ground in bays flanking entrance; gabled dormerheads to bipartite windows breaking eaves above. N (SIDE) ELEVATION: bipartite window at ground to right; single window centred at 1st floor. Lean-to porch recessed to outer right. W (REAR) ELEVATION: projecting porch off-set to right of centre; single window at ground to right. Single window centred at ground; gabled dormerhead to single window breaking eaves above. S (SIDE) ELEVATION: single window at 1st floor off-set to left of centre. Predominantly lying-pane timber glazing. Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews; beak skewputts. Coped apex stacks (part-rendered); circular terracotta cans. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
STEADING: original single and 2-storey, U-plan courtyard with later single storey, square-plan courtyard adjoined to S. Squared and snecked whinstone (rake-jointed in part); cream sandstone dressings. Eaves course in part; crowsteppedpatterned eaves to gableheads. Droved quoins and long and short surrounds to chamfered openings; boarded timber doors throughout. N COURTYARD: N RANGE, S (COURTYARD)
ELEVATION: 2-storey, 6-bay. Gabled bay breaking eaves off-set to left of centre with timber door at ground to left; single window to right; single window centred in gablehead above. Timber door at ground off-set to right of centre; single window to right; timber doors in bays to outer left and right. E (FRONT) ELEVATION: gable end to left with single window centred at ground; round-arched window above. 2-bay gable end slightly recessed to right with round-arched, 2-leaf doors in both bays at ground; round-arched window centred above. Bay recessed to outer right with round-arched, 2-leaf door at ground. W RANGE, E (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: single storey, 4-bay. 2-leaf timber doors in 2 bays to left of centre; part-ventilated single windows in 2 bays to right.
S RANGE, N (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: single storey, 5-bay. Single window in bay to outer left; timber doors in remaining bays to right. E (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end with pointed-arched window centred in apex. S COURTYARD: E RANGE, E (REAR) ELEVATION: blind. S RANGE, S (REAR) ELEVATION: 2 large timber doors flanking centre. W RANGE, W (REAR) ELEVATION: various openings. Timber glazing throughout; rooflights. Grey slate roofs. INTERIORS: not seen 1999.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: single storey, rectangular-plan, rubble-built block with walled enclosure to side.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-leaf boarded timber door to left. Timber gate accessing enclosure adjoined to right. Piended grey slate roof. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low rubble walls partially enclosing site.
Statement of Special Interest
An unusually intact mid 19th century farmhouse with both its original U-plan steading and the later, adjoining square-plan courtyard in place. The detailing remains good throughout and the tailored form of the Improvement steading make it particularly notable. See separate list entry for the nearby group of cottages - 'Rachan Mill Farm, Millside, Oldmill Cottage & Sawmill Cottage'.
Ordnance Survey map, 1856 (house and U-plan courtyard evident). Ordnance Survey map, 1898 (later square-plan courtyard evident).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.