Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: A
- See Notes
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 25152 73501
- Coordinates325152, 673501
Earlier 12th century, with later alterations and additions (see Notes). Simple pitch-roofed (piended to E) Romanesque chapel. Squared ashlar and random rubble with ashlar dressings and skews. Timber studded door in round-arched opening to N, J Wilson Paterson, 1939.
INTERIOR: barrel-vaulted rectangular nave (see Notes), separated from apsidal sanctuary by Romanesque chevron-inscribed chancel arch with nook-shafts (restored 1851-2). N doorway and aumbry to sanctuary. Stained glass by Douglas Strachan, 1922 (SS Andrew, Columba, Margaret and Ninian, and William Wallace).
Statement of Special Interest
The A Group comprises Batteries, Foog's Gate, Gatehouse, Governor's House, Great Hall, Lang Stairs, Military Prison, National War Museum, New Barracks, Old Guardhouse, Palace Block, Portcullis Gate, St Margaret's Chapel, Scottish National War Memorial, Telephone Kiosks, United Services Museum and Vaults, all within Edinburgh Castle, and in the Care of Historic Scotland. The earliest surviving building on the Castle Rock, the Chapel may have been built by David I in memory of his mother, canonised as St Margaret in 1250. The building was much altered during use as a magazine and munitions store from 16th-19th centuries. In 1845 the Chapel (then a storehouse at the W end of the 18th century garrison chapel) was rediscovered as such by the antiquarian Daniel Wilson. Surrounding buildings, including the garrison chapel, were demolished, and a simple restoration carried out under the direction of Col George Phillpots and Maximilian Grant, 1851-2. The barrel-vault of the nave is of this period, although it was probably also originally vaulted. Grant's illustration shows the form of the N door at this time. A later proposal by Hippolyte Blanc to enlarge and enrich the chapel was rejected.
Grant OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH (1885) p19, ill pp20 and 24. MacGibbon and Ross CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND (1887) 445-63, fig402. Wilson MEMORIALS OF EDINBURGH (1891) p167. RCAHMS INVENTORY EDINBURGH (1951) pp1-25. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p91-2. MacIvor EDINBURGH CASTLE (1993).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.