Sir William Kininmonth of Rowand Anderson, Kininmonth & Paul, 1964-66, outstanding near-windowless, square-plan flat-roofed church with semicircular entrance and bell tower, formerly with moat, and with sunk nave to interior, inverted clerestorey and floating ceiling effect, attached to former plain Lorimerian church, 1937, extended 1954, converted to hall, 1966. Church of brick, concrete and painted drydash: Hall of squared and snecked sandstone rubble with stugged dressings and base course. CHURCH:W ENTRANCE AND BELL TOWER: open, semicircular bell tower clasping outer corner to left with inscribed bell hung on parallel beams, 1954 (incorporated from former church). Screened entrance at foot of tower through flat-roofed porch large heavy timber doors. Sloping screen wall shielding short flight of steps running parallel with elevation and with late 20th century disabled ramp and stone Celtic cross. Further screen wall to right.
S ELEVATION: with bowed cloakroom to outer right linked to projecting aisle overhaning former moat, and with recessed wallhead of nave behind. Solitary window to outer left. Solitary buttress / flange from moat to wallhead, left of centre.
N ELEVATION: projecting aisle overhanging former moat, recessed wallhead of nave behind.
E ELEVATION: links to projecting hall / former church.
Nuralite Nuraply roofing (fibre-reinforced, bituminous waterproofing membrane) to flat roof hidden behind screening wallheads. Drainage from roof internal to wall structure.
INTERIOR: sunk nave with tiered seating to 3 sides encircling communion table on fourth side (Liturgical Movement), surrounded on 4 sides by columned or screened aisles/ passageway at higher level. Lit by largely hidden clerestorey formed with lowered central ceiling and square grid of 16 square recessed lights in cetnre of ceiling. Bowed cloakroom to SE lit by circular rooflights. Narthex with glazed roof within semicircular bell tower. Organ pipes in screened passageway with simple crucifix to screen, at back of communion table. Stained glass window, 1954, incorporated from former church. Heating pipes under tiered seating. En suite timber Font, Lectern and
Elders' chairs, with white Communion Table (each with common border motif, string of squares) and raised box-like white Pulpit behind.
HALL/ FORMER CHURCH:
Rectangular-plan former church to E of 1966 church (extended seamlessly to W, 1954) with projecting porches and offices, and with partly parallel range of corridor, offices and link to new church.
S ELEVATION: gabled porches off-centre and outer right, each with 2-leaf timber doors to W return, and additional S doors to off-centre porch (1954), with original inscribed stone dedicating 1937 foundation above. Intermediate bays and bays to left with tall narrow windows breaking eaves in swept dormers (3-4). W return of hall with vertical panel of window (former stained glass) with heavily corbelled cill, and louvred ventilator above. Link corridor and offices recessed to left with to left with door and window.
N ELEVATION: gabled projections to outer left (Youth Fellowship room) and to left of corridor / office link. Swept dormers to tall windows lighting former church to left (as above). Canted projection (session room) to centre of corridor / office link. Boiler house and wallhead stack to right. Small single and bipartite windows with stone mullions intervening.
Square-pane leaded glazing in sash and case, pivot and fixed windows. Lead lattice applied to mottled glass on occasion. Grey slate roof, stone ridges.
INTERIOR: main hall (former church) with pulpit and organ. Secondary hall with parquet / gymnasium flooring, steeply pitched ceiling supported by additional rafters at lower pitch, panelled dado to stage in shouldered proscenium arch, decorative plaster ceiling rose (masking ventilator). Dado and coombed ceiling to Youth Fellowship room. Also with Toilets, Vestry and Kitchen.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.