This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 19/12/2002


  • Local Authority: Fife
  • Planning Authority: Fife
  • Parish: Inverkeithing

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 13111 80779
  • Coordinates313111, 680779


Andrew Scobie and Son, 1912-14. 2-storey butterfly-plan school; modern single storey flat-roofed extensions to N and W corridors. Coursed and squared red sandstone to front; render to sides and rear (sides and assembly hall painted red); ashlar dressings; raised margins; ashlar cill courses; painted stone cills to rear. Bellcast roofs; overhanging bracketed eaves; stylised timber ventilators to central block and to assembly hall.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central advanced symmetrical 3-bay block with slightly advanced pavilion end-blocks to N and W connected by 2 lower entrance blocks with asymmetrical fenestration. Central gable-ended advanced block: 3 large ground floor windows (window to centre segmental-arched and keystoned); 3 1st floor windows above (window to centre slightly higher with keystone and open segmental pediment and blank raised square cartouche above; timber ventilator with open segmental-arched and keystoned side panels, finial; sunk basement door to boiler room to right return. 1st floor window to left return. Lower asymmetrical boys entrance block to right: central railed stair leading to 2-leaf timber door; splayed segmentally arched and keystoned porch, moulded cornice and entablature, broad course with central raised letters 'BOYS'; bipartite piended dormer window above breaking eaves. 4-light canted window to left at ground floor at angle, small window to left; 1st floor flat-roofed dormer window above breaking eaves. Slightly advanced 3-bay end-block to right: 3 large ground floor windows (window to centre segmental-arched and keystoned); 3 1st floor windows centred above (window to centre higher, with piended dormer breaking eaves). Girls blocks to left of central block near identical to those to right.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: central polygonal piended and buttressed single storey canted rectangular-plan hall projecting NW with 6 large windows breaking overhanging bellcast eaves to left and right; bipartite window to far NW end; timber ventilator with open side panels, finial. Hall flanked by 2-leaf timber boarded doors with multi-paned fanlights leading to 2-storey advanced flat-roofed corridor run adjoining rear of rear facing classroom blocks with regular window fenestration. Single storey flat-roofed extension to corridors at N and W ends forming lavatories and storage space. 1st floor breaking eaves window to N end pavilion block.

24-, 20-, 16-, 12-, 8-pane timber sash and case windows with horns. Pitched and piended bellcast roofs; grey slates; raised flat-headed skews to central advanced block; coped ashlar ridge stacks to connecting entrance blocks.

INTERIOR: cream faience tiles with green coloured banding to dado height along ground and 1st floor corridors and stairs; pine dado rails. Scrolled consoles to archways; dentilled cornice to corridors; stone staircases; original coat hooks to cloak room. Plate glass fronted classroom key box. Original chalkboards with architraves to classrooms; tongue and groove wainscoting. Hammerbeam roof with arched base and moulded ashlar corbels to assembly hall (false ceiling in place); 2, 2-leaf glazed doors with multi-paned fan lights flanking large square margin-paned window opening onto inner corridor.

NURSERY and KITCHEN BLOCKS: 2 adjoining piended single storey 5-bay rectangular-plan blocks, piended ventilators. Predominantly 9-pane timber windows. Grey slates; bracketed overhanging eaves.

PLAYSHEDS: 2 pitched and piended rectangular-plan open sheds with cast-iron Doric columns to front (shed to W truncated); door opening to gable end. Rendered with painted ashlar dressings; grey slates.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS and RAILINGS: low coped coursed boundary walls; original railings to S with pierced floral design (replacement railings to E). Red sandstone ashlar square-plan gatepiers to S and E, raised panels, dentilled and moulded bellcast caps; cast-iron gates with pierced floral design. Higher coped random rubble wall to N with yellow sandstone square-plan coped gatepiers.

Statement of Special Interest

This building reflects the new thinking in school design shortly after the turn of the century when Scottish School Boards turned to the Open Air School concept originated by the Germans circa 1904. According to the new principals, modified by the Scottish climate, school buildings were to be of single classroom width with large windows facing S. The form and plan of the North Queensferry Primary School adheres closely to these tenets. This school has been little altered since it was first built and its original interior fixtures and fittings are almost completely intact.



Ordnance Survey map (1920). J Gifford, FIFE: THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND (1988) p339. W M Stephen, FABRIC AND FUNCTION: A CENTURY OF SCHOOL BUILDING IN EDINBURGH 1872-1972 (1996).

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at